Pardew accepts FA punishment
Newcastle manager Alan Pardew says he never had any intention of mounting an appeal against the Football Association's punishment following his headbutt on Hull's David Meyler earlier this month.
- Related Content
Pardew was this week banned for seven matches by an independent FA commission over his clash with Meyler during Newcastle's 4-1 win at Hull on March 1. He is barred completely from the stadium for those first three matches, and must sit in the stands for the remaining four.
The punishment sees Pardew, 52, become the first Premier League manager to be handed a full stadium ban.
The first game of that sanction comes with Saturday's visit to Fulham, and speaking ahead of that match Pardew said: "It was an independent panel and it was a decision that I was going to accept.
"I had no intention to appeal the decision whatever it was, and therefore was going to accept what they decided to do."
Pardew was additionally fined £60,000 and warned as to his future conduct by the FA. That followed a £100,000 fine and a formal warning from his club.
The former Reading, West Ham, Charlton and Southampton manager has repeatedly apologised in the weeks since the incident, and was again contrite in Thursday's press conference.
"I just want to reiterate my apologies, to David and Steve (Bruce, Hull's manager) in particular, to fans up and down country, but particularly my own at Newcastle who have been terrific, and the club and Mike (Ashley, Newcastle owner) for supporting me over a situation I should never have got involved in and was stupid.
"I sent a letter to Steve to say there was no animosity on my side towards David, and to say sorry basically for the incident that happened. I deeply regret it."
Pardew also revealed he has spoken to both the Newcastle board and the League Managers' Association over his behavioural issues.
"It's something that I went to the board for, because what I must do when I come out of this situation is become a better manager," he said.
"I've had something like 678 games and only had one touchline ban before this one, but that doesn't mean to say what I did has any justification.
"I've spoken to the LMA about maybe some management consultant issues that I could look at that might help."
Asked if he had feared for his job, Pardew said: "You have to. When you are in the public eye, like I am, and an incident like that [happens], you have to fear for your future.
"Of course it's a relief because when you have made a mistake - and men make mistakes - my mistake was in front of millions of people, but you have to pay a price and there was a hefty price to pay.
"Mike acted swiftly and I accepted that, and we go forward. I have to say that in this interim period since the incident, the backing I have had from the club in particular has been a really big help to me because obviously, it's been difficult."
Saturday's match at bottom side Fulham is Newcastle's first since the unsavoury incident at the KC Stadium, and Pardew is confident his team will not suffer too much in his absence, with assistant manager John Carver fully briefed.
"Our game plan is in place," he said.
"John Carver knows it inside-out and I trust him 100 per cent to deliver it.
"I've never had much luck going to Fulham with Newcastle. It's a big game for us and Fulham and we will be looking to get a win."