Game on after strike suspended
Fulham's Barclays Premier League home clash with Liverpool will go ahead as planned on Wednesday night after unions suspended a strike on the London Underground.
- Related Content
Just minutes prior to the announcement by the RMT union that it was joining the TSSA in suspending a planned 48-hour strike, Cottagers boss Rene Meulensteen expressed his confidence that the game would go ahead regardless.
The Fulham boss said the potential tube cessation had not affected his side's preparation for their league showdown with Brendan Rodgers' Anfield outfit.
"As far as I am concerned the game will go ahead," said Meulensteen.
"It has not been too much of a concern to us, it's not something we could allow to affect us."
Fulham had planned to delay a decision on staging their Liverpool clash until later on Tuesday afternoon.
Members of the RMT and TSSA unions were due to walk out at 9pm on Tuesday night following a two-day stoppage last week which caused travel chaos in the capital.
RMT general secretary Bob Crow said unions had received proposals that halted implementation of job cuts, so that discussions can be held "away from the pressure cooker".
The unions are campaigning against controversial plans to close all 260 Tube ticket offices with the loss of 950 jobs.
Liverpool owner John W Henry waded into the row over Fulham delaying their decision on whether to postpone the match due to transport concerns with a tweet on Tuesday morning.
Henry tweeted: "Arsenal, West Ham and Leyton Orient all ready for the strike but not Fulham?"
Fulham put their waiting game purely down to prudence to ascertain whether all support staff could travel to the match to ensure supporter safety.