Newcastle won't replace Kinnear
Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has no immediate plans to replace former director of football Joe Kinnear.
- Related Content
It's understood the sportswear tycoon will not make an appointment in the short term amid speculation that Derek Llambias could once again have a part to play.
Kinnear resigned on Monday night after little more than seven months in his role, having failed to make a permanent signing during two transfer windows.
His departure was confirmed in a brief club statement on Monday night.
The statement said: "Newcastle United can confirm that Joe Kinnear has this evening resigned from his position as director of football with immediate effect. The club will be making no further comment."
Llambias left the club within days of Kinnear's arrival in June last year - virtually his last act was to formally welcome the then 66-year-old to Tyneside - although it is understood he and Ashley are back on good terms.
As managing director it was Llambias who had previously conducted the club's transfer business, and after a shaky start he had implemented a policy of investing in young players with potential.
Yohan Cabaye was perhaps the poster boy for the Magpies' new approach, arriving at St James' Park from Lille for a fee of £4.3million during the summer of 2011 and departing for Paris St Germain last week in return for around £20million.
However, it was that sale - and the failure to replace Cabaye when bids for Lyon's Clement Grenier and Montpellier's Remy Cabella were dismissed - which brought matters to a head.
Kinnear, a far from popular appointment in the first place among supporters, had asked to be judged on his signings during a series of bullish pronouncements in the wake of his arrival.
Meanwhile, it doesn't appear as if the fans will miss Kinnear.
Mark Jensen, editor of online fanzine www.themag.co.uk, said: "My personal reaction is that, like any other Newcastle fan, Joe Kinnear won't be missed, that's for sure.
"In the time he has been there, Newcastle have spent no money on incoming transfers and have sold somebody for £20million."
During Kinnear's tenure, Newcastle recruited only two senior players - Loic Remy and Luuk de Jong - both on loan and both of whom had been scouted at length long before his arrival.
However, it remains to be seen who assumes responsibility for player recruitment.
Asked whether that role, which had previously been occupied by Dennis Wise - his exact title was executive director (football) - can work on Tyneside, Jensen said: "It's hard to judge whether or not a director of football really would work at Newcastle as we haven't had a working example of it. We have had somebody who has been given the title...
"We have somebody like Graham Carr, who has shown working with not very much money, he can identify people who are assets to the club.
"But in the last two transfer windows, whoever he has recommended, apart from the two loan signings, have either been ignored or not followed up seriously.
"If Alan Pardew hasn't got the power to bring people in, there probably is a need for a director of football to present an overall strategy.
"But if a manager has an eight-year contract, it's strange that he isn't the key person to decide who he needs to fulfil his ambitions and the ambitions of the football club."