Campbell may make Yeovil clash

  • Last Updated: December 19 2013, 18:16 GMT

Blackburn have made striker DJ Campbell available for selection again just a week after granting him time off following his arrest in the National Crime Agency's probe into spot-fixing.

DJ Campbell: Trained all week as normal
DJ Campbell: Trained all week as normal

Earlier this month the Sky Bet Championship club confirmed that Campbell was one of six players that were arrested and bailed until April by the NCA, who were investigating claims published in a newspaper report of spot-fixing across the sport.

Last Thursday Rovers released a statement to the media which explained the 32-year-old would be "given time to spend with his family" and would miss their game with Millwall three days later as a result.

However, Campbell has now been welcomed back into the fold with Rovers revealing he was back training with the squad on Tuesday and is eligible to feature in their clash at Yeovil this Saturday.

"DJ came back in training on Tuesday and has trained with us, so he's a normal squad player now, he's available for selection," Blackburn boss Gary Bowyer told a press conference on Thursday.

"We just have to keep seeing how we are and monitoring how he is. We'll just judge him as every other player."

The news that Blackburn are willing to pick Campbell comes only three days after Cristian Montano, another of the half a dozen arrested, was sacked by his club Oldham.

The League One club had originally suspended Montano following his arrest and after conducting their own investigation, they decreed the forward had been guilty of gross misconduct and terminated his contract as a result.

In their statement, published through CM Solicitors, it said: "Notwithstanding and without prejudice to the ongoing criminal investigation, it is our view that the player's conduct, in not only bringing the name of Oldham Athletic but also the football authorities into disrepute, amounts to very serious breaches of club discipline and therefore constitutes gross misconduct."

On Wednesday the barrister representing Montano hit back at Latics, calling the decision to sack him "illogical" and confirmed the Colombian intends to challenge his dismissal.