Juve play down Conte comments

  • Last Updated: September 9 2013, 11:24 BST

Juventus expect coach Antonio Conte to remain with the Turin giants next season despite his displeasure over the club's summer sales.

Antonio Conte: Not happy with Juventus sales
Antonio Conte: Not happy with Juventus sales

Conte recently voiced his discontent regarding the decision made by the Serie A champions to sell several top players in order to balance their books.

Italian striker Alessandro Matri joined AC Milan last month while midfielder Emanuele Giaccherini moved to Sunderland in July.

"His (Conte's) comments regarding the transfer market were not controversial," said Juventus sporting director Giuseppe Marotta to Tuttosport. "We know him (Conte) well and we will hold on to him."

Former Juventus midfielder and board member Pavel Nedved also brushed aside reports that Conte could leave the club next year.

"I think once in a while one blows off steam and says certain things," Nedved said. "But I think there is great harmony between Antonio and the club.

"I see no problem.

"I don't fear a separation at the end of the season.

"It is not right to face a new season where we have important challenges thinking that the coach could leave.

"We are aware that we are very strong and we can do very well in every competition."

Juve have strengthened their attacking line with the arrivals of Angelo Ogbonna, Carlos Tevez and Fernando Llorente this summer.

Conte, who took the reins of Juve in 2011, has led the Bianconeri to back-to-back Serie A titles.


Sky Bet Free Bet Club: £10 free bet - £5 free every week