Moyes: Rooney could face Blues
Manchester United manager David Moyes has revealed Wayne Rooney could start Monday's eagerly-anticipated Premier League showdown with Chelsea.
- Related Content
Rooney completed the final half hour of United's victory at Swansea last weekend, setting up goals for Robin van Persie and Danny Welbeck.
And with another week's training under his belt after shaking off the hamstring and shoulder injuries that prevented him from playing any part in United's pre-season campaign, and the knock he picked up at the Liberty Stadium, the 27-year-old could feature against the club who have already had two bids for him turned down already.
"Wayne has recovered and has a good chance of starting," Moyes told reporters.
It would be an interesting move by the Red Devils chief bearing in mind opposite number Jose Mourinho has already suggested he will make a third offer for Rooney next week.
Rooney has been at the centre of just one of the transfer sagas that have dominated the summer.
Luis Suarez and Gareth Bale have been the others, although in the past week neither Newcastle manager Alan Pardew nor Moyes' Everton successor Roberto Martinez have taken too kindly to their players being the subject of bids either.
Pardew accused Arsene Wenger of lacking respect by making a bid for midfielder Yohan Cabaye hours before the Magpies' 4-0 defeat at Manchester City.
And Martinez questioned the timing of Moyes' £28million joint approach for Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini, which was made on Friday but only became public knowledge on Monday and drew a withering attack from former Toffees keeper Neville Southall.
He accused Moyes of lacking respect for Everton by lodging a bid so far below the accepted value of the pair.
However, Moyes insists he remains on good terms with his old chairman Bill Kenwright and that he had never disrespected the Merseyside outfit.
"There's a mixed market at the moment," said Moyes. "Nobody's quite sure where the price is just now.
"We've had offers for players which we think are quite small. I can see where other clubs might be thinking there's not enough value for their players as well.
"I definitely (have sympathy for Martinez). But I also know if I had been Everton manager and Sir Alex (Ferguson) had come asking for Baines and Fellaini I'd have found it very difficult to keep them.
"I always thought the right thing to do was the right thing for players.
"Roberto is new in his job and I'm sure he'll get to understand how Everton work.
"I respect Everton greatly and speak with Bill Kenwright most weeks.
"Of course taking their players is going to affect them but there is not any disrespect whatsoever because we didn't make the offer public."