Sunderland progress to final

  • Last Updated: July 25 2013, 8:53 BST

A review of Wednesday's major pre-season friendly action, including a win for Sunderland against Tottenham in the Barclays Asia Trophy.

Sunderland players celebrate Cabral's goal
Sunderland players celebrate Cabral's goal

Sunderland booked their place in the final of the Barclays Asia Trophy after they came from behind to beat Tottenham 3-1 in testing conditions in Hong Kong, with goals from Cabral, Wes Brown and David Moberg Karlsson giving them victory.

The first half was delayed by 30 minutes after a storm caused puddles of water to appear on the pitch, and at times the game became something of a lottery, players on both sides struggling to keep their footing on a surface that cut up badly as the game progressed.

The will face Manchester City in the Asia Trophy final after Edin Dzeko's first-half header saw the Citizens beat South China 1-0 in their semi-final.

New City coach Manuel Pellegrini returned after compassionate leave to see his charges record the first victory of his tenure.

On a difficult surface churned up by torrential rain and the first semi earlier on Wednesday, City produced a workmanlike performance with only man-of-the-match James Milner producing any real quality of note.

Elsewhere, Luis Suarez featured as a late substitute as goals from Steven Gerrard and Iago Aspas earned Liverpool a 2-0 win over Melbourne Victory at the MCG.

Gerrard put Liverpool ahead with a cool finish inside the penalty area in the 32nd minute before Aspas, on as a 72nd-minute substitute, tapped home a cross from Suarez, who also played the final 18 minutes, to put the seal on the victory.

Simon Mignolet and Luis Alberto also played the closing stages, while Jordan Ibe and Andre Wisdom were impressive starters for Brendan Rodgers' side.

Two goals in 11 second-half minutes gave Schalke a 2-0 win over Southampton in their pre-season friendly match in Austria.

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar gave the Bundesliga side the lead in the 58th minute when he netted on the rebound after a shot by substitute Christian Clemens had been saved by Saints goalkeeper Kelvin Davis.

And it was another substitute, Joel Matip, who doubled the lead in the 69th minute at the Stadion Villach Lind when he netted from close range.

Club record signing Andreas Cornelius scored his first goal for Cardiff in an entertaining 4-3 friendly win for the Bluebirds at Forest Green.

The summer arrival from FC Copenhagen opened the scoring with a header after 21 minutes and Nicky Maynard doubled the lead in the 34th minute.

James Norwood pulled a goal back for the Conference side just before half-time but Cardiff, who changed their entire team at the break, quickly restored their two-goal cushion through Peter Whittingham's penalty.

Danny Wright reduced Rovers' arrears again after 56 minutes but the Bluebirds pulled clear once more when Craig Noone let rip with a screamer in the 73rd minute.

Matt Taylor completed the scoring four minutes later as an entertaining evening at the New Lawn finished 4-3 to the Premier League newcomers.

Two Englishmen abroad proved Stoke's undoing against the Houston Dynamo as Mark Hughes suffered a 2-0 defeat in his first match in charge.

Former Hearts winger Andrew Driver and one-time Derby and West Brom wideman Giles Barnes scored as Houston won 2-0 against the Potters at BBVA Compass Stadium.

Driver opened the scoring directly from a free-kick in the 11th minute, and Barnes slotted the second goal two minutes from the end.

Norwich suffered a 1-0 defeat to Major League Soccer side the Portland Timbers in the final match of their US tour.

Colombian striker Jose Valencia netted the only goal in the 53rd minute, converting a pass from Kalif Alhassan.

Ryan Bennett gave the ball away unnecessarily 40 yards out from goal and Alhassan was able to run towards goal before slipping in Valencia to fire home.

Michail Antonio's early goal saw Sheffield Wednesday defeat Rangers 1-0 in their penultimate pre-season friendly.

The forward's miss-hit volley from Joe Mattock's corner after 12 minutes some how went in to reward the hosts for their early pressure.

Rangers had offered little as an attacking force but against the run of play they threatened three times in the space of five second-half minutes through Nicky Law and Andrew Little, who twice went close.

Bristol City beat Reading 1-0 after a late goal from transfer-listed winger Albert Adomah.

Adomah produced an excellent finish following a good team move and his solitary strike proved the difference on the night.

The Royals should have at least drawn the game, with Chris Gunter and Nick Blackman spurning close-range chances in the closing stages.

Blackman - one of seven second-half changes - saw a header cleared off the line and could not keep the rebound down. Gunter then smacked well over from the edge of the six-yard box right on full time.

Peterborough and Watford shared a 1-1 draw at London Road.

Joe Day was Posh's best, and definitely busiest, player in the first half saving well from both Lewis McGugan and Fernando Forestieri as Watford's slick passing often mesmerised the hosts.

But after the break, in a game that became more scrappy with every substitution, Peterborough created chances of their own with Danny Swanson twice bungled during a three-on-two opportunity.

Posh led for 45 seconds in the second-half thanks to a cool finish by Swanson following a superb pass from Lee Tomlin.

However, the Hornets equalised in the 61st minute following some brilliance of their own as McGugan thundered a 25-yard free-kick against the crossbar before Troy Deeney converted the rebound from close range.

An unstoppable strike from Marc-Antoine Fortune gave Wigan a 1-0 victory over Morecambe at the Globe Arena.

Fortune's goal came 15 minutes from time from a Latics counter-attack. He cut inside Tony Diagne and fired a thunderous right-foot shot from just outside the area past goalkeeper Barry Roche's outstretched left hand.

Summer signing Grant Holt should have put the FA Cup holders ahead early on but lifted his shot wide when one-on-one with Roche, who soon had to deny Wigan skipper Emmerson Boyce.

Callum McManaman and Boyce once more went close at the end of the first half after Ryan Williams had forced Scott Carson to tip a 20-yard free-kick over the crossbar at the other end.

Williams tested Carson with another set piece after the break before Fortune's strike settled the game.

Leicester preserved their unbeaten pre-season record with a confident display in a 0-0 draw against a spirited York side at Bootham Crescent.

Nigel Pearson's team dominated possession for long periods against their League Two opponents, whose solid defending held Leicester at bay despite Danny Drinkwater seeing a shot strike the post in the first half and David Nugent having two efforts cleared off the line.

However with an exciting home tie against AS Monaco beckoning on Saturday at the King Power Stadium and a new season around the corner, Pearson will have been pleased to see his charges come through a tough run out unscathed.

Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola got one over on his former club Barcelona by overseeing a 2-0 friendly victory in Munich.

Philipp Lahm opened the scoring in the 14th minute for a strong Bayern side who appear ready and willing to build on their treble-winning 2012-13 season.

Although they had to wait until the 87th minute before Mario Mandzukic added a second, they did enough over the 90 minutes to show they mean business again in 2013-14 with their European rivals well-advised to take note.

Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet