Losing start for David Moyes

  • Last Updated: July 14 2013, 8:13 BST

A review of Saturday's major pre-season friendly action, including Manchester United's defeat to Singha All Stars.

  • Adnan Januzaj in action for Manchester United
  • Liverpool celebrate during their win over Preston 

David Moyes' first game as Manchester United manager ended in defeat as Teeratep Winothai scored the only goal for Singha All Stars in Bangkok.

No manager likes to lose, especially their first game for a new club, and in this instance, replacing a man who served for 26 years and won 13 Premier League titles.

But Moyes can take several positives from this first run-out, as Adnan Januzaj in the first half and Wilfried Zaha - following his introduction in the second - impressed hugely.

And with Robin van Persie among those set to link up on Sunday in Sydney, where United will spend a week in rather cooler temperatures, the Scot can at least start to feel the hard work has begun in earnest.

Liverpool's new forward Iago Aspas marked his debut with a goal in their 4-0 victory at Preston.

The Spaniard, signed from Celta Vigo for £7.7million, curled home his side's final effort as they eased their way back into action to comfortably win the specially-commissioned Shankly Shield, in honour of Reds' iconic manager and former Lilywhites player Bill Shankly at Deepdale.

In reality the game had already been settled with goals from Philippe Coutinho, Jordon Ibe and Raheem Sterling in little more than a gentle run-out, - even if temperatures on the pitch touched 30 degrees.

It provided no proper gauge for an assessment on the work manager Brendan Rodgers has done over the summer or his four new signings, who all featured.

Aside from one first-half save from Scott Laird's shot, goalkeeper Simon Mignolet had nothing to do, while centre-back Kolo Toure may have had a more testing afternoon had new Preston signing Kevin Davies been ready to play.

Rodgers' two Spanish imports, Aspas and Luis Alberto, played the second half with Aspas' 20-yard left-foot curler for Liverpool's fourth in the 75th minute the highlight.

  • David Moyes gives instructions to Wilfried Zaha during Manchester United's friendly defeat to Singha All-Stars in Bangkok
  • The United line-up was missing some of it's biggest names but still contained plenty of experience
  • The United shirts featured the players' names written in the Thai alphabet
  • Moyes and his coaching team in conference before kick-off
  • Ryan Giggs attempts to influence the game in Bangkok
  • Danny Welbeck is denied in the first-half by the All-Stars keeper
  • Moyes gave Adnan Januzaj a full game during which the 18-year-old impressed
  • Januzaj imposed himself on the game in a free role
  • One of Sir Alex Ferguson's final acts as United boss was to give Januzaj a squad number a place on the bench in his final game
  • Teerathep Winothai celebrates scoring the winning goal against United in Bangkok
  • Moyes and his coaching team watch as United labour in Bangkok
  • Danny Welbeck narrowly fails to get a toe to the ball ahead of the All-Stars goalkeeper
  • Tom Cleverley was subbed after an hour after failing to make an impression
  • Welbeck was well marshalled by the All-Stars defence but still wasted a great chance late on
  • Deepdale hosted Liverpool on a sunny Saturday afternoon in Preston
  • Kevin Davies was presented to the Preston crowd
  • Kolo Toure made his first appearance in a Liverpool shirt and heped the Reds keep a clean sheet
  • Philippe Coutinho rolls in a penalty to open the scoring in a 4-0 win
  • Coutinho celebrates with Jordan Henderson after scoring from the spot
  • Coutinho celebrates his opening goal with fellow goalscorer Jordan Ibe
  • Ibe celebrates his goal for Liverpool
  • Iago Aspas unleashes a drive on his Liverpool debut
  • Aspas watches as his shot finds the net
Photos from friendlies as Manchester United and Liverpool opened their pre-season campaigns in Bangkok and Preston respectively.

Wayne Routledge scored as Swansea rounded off their tour of Holland with a 1-0 victory over ADO Den Haag on Saturday.

The winger lifted the ball over home goalkeeper Gino Coutinho in the 21st minute after an assist from Jonjo Shelvey for the only goal of the pre-season friendly at the Kyocera Stadion.

New £12million signing Wilfried Bony made his first appearance in a Swans shirt, as Michael Laudrup made eight changes at half-time.

The former Vitesse striker went close on several occasions in the second half but could not mark his debut with a goal.

Having won all four of their friendlies in the Netherlands, Swansea return to pre-season action away to Yeovil next Friday.

Goals by Kevin Nolan and Jack Collison guided West Ham to a 2-0 victory at Bournemouth in a testimonial game for Stephen Purches at the Goldsands Stadium.

The Hammers took the lead after nine minutes when Guy Demel's whipped-in cross found Nolan and he headed home from eight yards with goalkeeper Darryl Flahavan left grasping thin air.

It appeared the teams would be separated by one goal at the end of a first half that ebbed and flowed but the Premier League side doubled their lead in injury time with a goal that had a whiff of controversy.

The Cherries believed Steve Cook had been fouled by Modibo Maiga when retrieving the ball but the referee waved play on and Collison rounded the keeper before slotting the ball home.

There was a notable appearance from Darren Anderton eight minutes from time when the former England international came on for the Cherries.

West Brom fielded a mixture of senior and young professionals as they completed a 4-0 friendly win over Tamworth.

James Morrison opened the scoring after 16 minutes, swivelling neatly to collect new boy Nicolas Anelka's centre before slotting into the bottom left-hand corner with Shane Long heading home Kemar Roofe's cross just before the half hour.

Manager Steve Clarke made 10 changes at the break and Markus Rosenberg volleyed home with 21 minutes left with Saido Berahino completing the scoring six minutes.

Emile Sinclair netted the only goal as Peterborough beat Queens Park Rangers 1-0 at London Road.

Sinclair was on target from close range to give the League One club victory over the west Londoners.

French trialist Yohann Lasimant thought he had opened the scoring after half-an-hour but the referee deemed that the ball had gone out of play during the move.

Peterborough keeper Joe Day twice denied Alejandro Faurlin before Sinclair sealed the contest with a scruffy winner.

Jeremy Helan celebrated his permanent transfer to Sheffield Wednesday by scoring the only goal of the game as the Owls claimed a 1-0 win at Scunthorpe.

French winger Helan, who moved to Hillsborough from Manchester City on Thursday, poked home the winner in the 41st minute at Glanford Park on Saturday, after Matt Sparrow had spurned two decent chances for the Iron.

Helan, who made 25 appearances for Wednesday during a loan spell last season, also brought a fine save from home goalkeeper Sam Slocombe early in the second half, while Owls midfielder Rhys McCabe saw a fierce drive crash back off the angle of post and crossbar.

Matt Godden should have levelled for United late on in the pre-season friendly, but he fired wide with the goal gaping.

Derby's new signing Johnny Russell scored twice as the Rams romped to a 6-1 friendly victory over Bohemians in Ireland.

Russell, who joined Derby from Dundee United this summer, took just nine minutes to open the scoring at Dalymount Park, sweeping home Michael Jacobs' cut-back.

The home side levelled five minutes later through Chris Lyons, only for Russell to head home his second goal in the 26th minute.

County manager Nigel Clough fielded a different side in the second half and goals from Callum Ball, Ben Davies, Paul Coutts and Conor Sammon sealed a convincing victory.

Radoslaw Majeswki scored the only goal of the game in the opening minute as Nottingham Forest claimed a 1-0 win at Football League new-boys Mansfield.

The Pole was played in by Matt Derbyshire and goalkeeper Alan Marriott should have done better to deal with his 25-yard strike.

Derbyshire was denied a second by a stunning stop from Marriott, while Majewski could have added a second but he blazed over the crossbar.

Lee Stevenson had the ball in the net for the Stags but his effort was ruled out for offside.

The home side impressed in the second half but could not find an equaliser, sub Louis Briscoe crashing a shot against the woodwork.

Thomas Ince scored from the penalty spot as Blackpool were held to a 1-1 draw by Morecambe in a behind-closed-doors friendly.

The England Under-21 international snubbed an £8million move to Barclays Premier League new-boys Cardiff on Friday in favour of staying with the Seasiders.

The Shrimps equalised in the closing stages through Stewart Drummond's strike.

Chesterfield began their home pre-season campaign with a 2-1 victory over Championship side Huddersfield at the Proact Stadium.

The Spireites opened the scoring in the eighth minute when new signing Gary Roberts pounced on a loose ball after an initial shot had been blocked.

Town were soon level, though, as their summer signing Martin Paterson played in Danny Ward and his deflected strike beat home goalkeeper Tommy Lee.

The Terriers, playing their first friendly of the summer, fielded a completely new side after the break.

And the hosts took advantage as they snatched victory shortly after the hour mark through triallist Jamie Devitt's superb curling free-kick.

Former Hull winger Devitt, 23, had only entered the action as a substitute a few minutes earlier.

Radoslaw Majeswki scored the only goal of the game in the opening minute as Nottingham Forest claimed a 1-0 friendly win at Football League new-boys Mansfield.

The Pole was played in by Matt Derbyshire and goalkeeper Alan Marriott should have done better to deal with his 25-yard strike.

Derbyshire was denied a second by a stunning stop from Marriott, while Majewski could have added a second but he blazed over the crossbar.

Lee Stevenson had the ball in the net for the Stags but his effort was ruled out for offside.

The home side impressed in the second half but could not find an equaliser, sub Louis Briscoe crashing a shot against the woodwork.

Turkish champions Galatasaray showed their class to claim a 3-0 friendly win over Shrewsbury at Greenhous Meadow.

The Shrews fell behind to a neat finish from Emre Colak in the early stages and it was 2-0 before the break when Noureddine Amrabat calmly slotted in a second.

Jon Marsden, Dave Winfield and Darren Jones all had half-chances for the home side before the visitors introduced some of their big names.

One of them, Wesley Sneijder, completed the scoring as he smashed home a rebound after Alex McQuaid had blocked a Yekta Kurtulus effort on the line.

Hearts supporters continued to rally behind the club as more than 3,000 turned out at East End Park to see their team win a friendly against another club in administration, Dunfermline.

With receipts from the 4,538 crowd split, the game was held up for 10 minutes to allow the visiting fans in.

Early goals from Brad McKay and Jamie Hamill gave them something to cheer and Hearts survived a strong Dunfermline fightback to collect the Supporters Direct Cup.

The trophy was put up, with the help of sponsor QTS, to mark the efforts of both sets of fans to save their clubs, and possibly own them.

Dunfermline fans' alliance Pars United is the preferred bidder for their club and a creditors meeting was yesterday set for July 30.

And Hearts fans are among three bidders for their club after more than 5,500 set up direct debits to fund the Foundation of Hearts offer.

A surge in season-ticket sales has helped the club continue trading in the short term and that loyalty was recognised by the players before and after the game.

Lewis MacLeod hit the winner for Rangers as they enjoyed a 1-0 victory over Bristol City at Ashton Gate.

Substitute MacLeod drilled home Andy Little's cutback in the 63rd minute after Jon Daly had robbed Louis Carey inside the box.

A Rangers defence featuring trialist Bilel Mohsni held on after Ryan Taylor had missed a good chance to equalise for the League One side.

The first half had been an even contest with Scott Wagstaff and Kyle Hutton forcing saves from long range at either end.

The 2,500 Rangers fans in the 7,874 crowd saw their team collect the Blackthorn Cup trophy put up by the sponsor of both clubs before their team headed off for Germany to continue their pre-season preparations.

Earlier, St Mirren suffered a 4-0 defeat by Charlton in Marbella in their first pre-season outing.

Saints midfielder Kenny McLean saw an early 20-yard shot tipped over but the Championship side soon took control and Johnnie Jackson gave them the half-time lead after rounding goalkeeper David Cornell.

Steven Thompson broke through just before the break but shot wide and Charlton were dominant in the second half as both sides made numerous changes.

Charlton, who were playing their third pre-season game, went further ahead through a Danny Hollands volley and Yann Kermogrant overhead kick before Danny Green fired home after a defensive lapse.

St Johnstone warmed up for their Europa League clash against Rosenborg in Norway on Thursday with a 1-0 victory over Morton at Cappielow.

Dave Mackay netted the winner with a 20-yard free-kick in the second half and Saints goalkeeper Alan Mannus made some good stops to deny the Greenock side an equaliser as 1,014 fans turned out for Peter Weatherson's testimonial.

Iain Vigurs almost marked his first appearance for Motherwell with a sensational goal but his 45-yard strike over the head of former Hearts goalkeeper Marian Kello came off the bar as Stuart McCall's team opened their pre-season campaign with a goalless draw at Doncaster.

Well lost John Sutton to a head knock in the first half and fielded former Morton and Queen of the South defender Craig Reid as a trialist.

Niall McGinn hit a hat-trick as Aberdeen beat Huntly 4-1 in a testimonial for the home side's Russell Guild, who netted a penalty. Scott Vernon was also on target as he raced on to a ball over the top to fire home.

Gary Warren and Richie Foran both scored second half headers as Inverness won 2-0 at Third Division Elgin City.

Ross County fell to a 2-0 defeat to Peterhead with Andy Rodgers opening the scoring for the hosts and Bryan Gilfillan netting a late penalty.

Partick Thistle trialist Mark Kerr hit a 30-yard goal in a 4-3 friendly win at Dumbarton

Thistle came from behind to take a 3-1 half-time lead thanks to goals from James Craigen, Ross Forbes and Stephen O'Donnell and Kerr made it 4-2 in the second half before former Aberdeen striker Mitch Megginson pulled a goal back.

Goals from George Elokobi and David Davis earned Wolves a 2-1 victory in a pre-season friendly at Livingston.

Wanderers fell behind to a superb strike from Marc McNulty after good work from Jason Talbot.

They were back on level terms when Elokobi stabbed home a deflected shot from close in and David Davis turned the game around early in the second half when he drilled a shot into the roof of the net.

Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet