Shawcross keen to cement place

  • Last Updated: November 14 2012, 7:27 GMT

Ryan Shawcross was always confident he had what it took to get into the England squad, but now he hopes to prove he has what it takes to stay there.

Ryan Shawcross: Earned his third call-up

Shawcross earned his third call-up to the national team for Wednesday's friendly with Sweden and he will win his first cap if Roy Hodgson opts to give him a run-out in Stockholm.

Although he has yet to feature for the senior team, the Stoke defender admits he is starting to feel comfortable in the England set-up and is now looking to become a permanent feature at international level.

He told FATV: "It's always good to come away with the national team and now I've been a few times I'm starting to feel at home.

"If you're playing well, you get noticed. At Stoke last year, we played in Europe and that got us a few headlines.

"On a personal note, if I'm doing okay and being consistent, then I always felt that I had enough to hopefully break into the England squad and luckily enough I have done, so I want to stay in it.

"There's a lot of experienced players ahead of me and it's up to me to perform well in training. Hopefully I can play well when I get a chance."

The 25-year-old, who was handed his first call-up by Fabio Capello in 2010, could have had the opportunity to represent Wales but insisted chose England.

"When I was a schoolboy, I played for Wales because I went to school in Wales but when I turned 16, there was a rule that said I couldn't play for Wales," he said.

"But in recent months, that rule changed and I could play for Wales again. But I decided years ago I wanted to play for England and I spoke to Chris Coleman, and Gary Speed before that, and made it clear that I wanted to play for England, so there was never any choice really."


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week