Court throws out Evans appeal
Former Wales striker Ched Evans has lost a challenge against his conviction for rape.
The former Sheffield United and Manchester City player had his case rejected by three judges at the Court of Appeal in London.
Tuesday's ruling was made by the Lord Chief Justice Lord Judge, sitting with Mr Justice Mitting and Mr Justice Griffith Williams.
The 23-year-old was jailed for five years in April for raping a 19-year-old woman in a hotel room.
Evans denied the offence but was found guilty by a jury at Caernarfon Crown Court of raping her at a hotel in North Wales in May last year.
He admitted having sex with her but the woman told the jury she had no memory of the incident.
The prosecution said the woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was too drunk to consent to sexual intercourse.
Port Vale defender Clayton McDonald, 23, who also admitted having sex with the victim, was found not guilty of the same charge.
Lord Judge, rejecting the conviction challenge by Evans, said: "We can see no possible basis which would justify us interfering with the verdict of the jury, which heard all the evidence and reflected on it after careful summing up by the judge."
The judges also threw out a bid by Evans to have his sentence reduced.