Gills march on, Vale win again

  • Last Updated: October 20 2012, 20:18 BST

League Two leaders Gillingham continued their fine start to the season with a thumping 4-1 victory over Burton Albion.

Tom Pope: On target for Port Vale again

Tom Flanagan (22) and Matt Fish (40) put the Gills two up at half-time and, although Zander Diamond pulled one back (54), Myles Weston (59) and Joe Martin (63) quickly put the game beyond Burton.

Gillingham have 32 points after 13 games and stayed three ahead of Port Vale after they won by the same scoreline against Wycombe.

Joel Grant put the visitors ahead from the penalty spot in the 20th minute but Jo Kuffour was sent off just before half-time and Vale took full advantage.

Ben Williamson (59) drew them level and Tom Pope netted his 15th and 16th goals of the season in the 66th and 87th minutes before Ashley Vincent made it four in injury time.

Fleetwood lost ground after being held to a 1-1 draw by AFC Wimbledon, Byron Harrison cancelling out Steven Gillespie's 10th-minute opener just after the hour mark.

Bradford ended a four-game run without a win by beating Cheltenham 3-1 to climb to fifth and within a point of their opponents.

Marlon Pack gave the visitors the lead with a 29th-minute penalty but Nahki Wells levelled, also from the spot, on the stroke of half-time and City went on to win it with a second from Wells (68) and one from James Meredith (83).

Sixth-placed Exeter have now lost five of their last six games after Chris Atkinson (32) earned Chesterfield a 1-0 win while Rochdale dropped out of the top six following a 3-1 defeat by Plymouth.

A Guy Madjo penalty and a header from Andres Gurrieri put the hosts two up inside seven minutes and Bobby Grant missed a penalty (55) before Dele Adebola (76) did pull one back. Madjo made sure with a second penalty in injury time.

Rotherham secured a 3-0 victory away at struggling Aldershot with goals from Lee Frecklington (34), Robert Harris (56) and Alex Revell (82).

Struggling Bristol Rovers gained a valuable three points in a 3-2 victory over 10-man Torquay. Tom Eaves (15) and Matthew Lund (17) put Rovers two up before Joe Oastler was sent off for a second yellow card.

Torquay defied their numerical disadvantage to level through Rene Howe (53), scoring for the seventh straight league game, and Aaron Downes (59) but Eaves popped up with the winner 14 minutes from time.

Morecambe left it until two minutes from time to net the winner against Southend, Jack Redshaw earning a 1-0 win, although the match ended on a sour note when Richard Brodie was dismissed for violent conduct.

The biggest winners of the day were Oxford, for whom Tom Craddock scored the opening four goals (12, 23, 36, 71) in a 5-0 victory over Accrington. Alfie Potter grabbed the fifth 12 minutes from time.

York were the division's other winners, 3-2 against Dagenham & Redbridge. Ashley Chambers' opener (19) was quickly cancelled out by Luke Wilkinson (23) but Chambers (37) and Matty Blair (65) restored the advantage before Wilkinson netted a late consolation.