Hughes: No direct Terry apology
QPR boss Mark Hughes still expects Anton Ferdinand to wear an anti-racism t-shirt this weekend but does not anticipate the defender will receive a personal apology from John Terry.
- Related Content
Ferdinand was at the centre of a racism storm when he accused Chelsea skipper John Terry of abusing him during a match last season.
The 27-year-old had reportedly been toying with the idea of not showing his support to the Kick It Out campaign ahead of the club's Barclays Premier League fixture against Everton on Sunday due to a perceived lack of progress being made.
Terry has decided not to challenge a Football Association fine and ban for the comments, he then issued an apology through his management company but Hughes confirmed Ferdinand has not received a personal message from the former England captain, and does not anticipate one in the future.
"I think John Terry feels that he hasn't done anything wrong and that has been his stance," he said. "So for him to apologise would perhaps be an admission of guilt so I wouldn't have thought he would be prepared to do that."
Hughes did confirm that he is expecting Ferdinand to show his support for the anti-racism campaign by joining the whole QPR squad in wearing t-shirts on Sunday.
"That is my understanding, I have not been told anything different I fully expect everyone to wear the t-shirt," he said.
"(I spoke with Ferdinand) earlier in the week but whether or not that has changed there is no reason to think it has, I think Anton is going to wear the t-shirt, I haven't been told any different.
"Obviously people will have a view in terms of where they think campaigns against racism in football and in life and some will think not enough is being done.
"But if you look in the last 10-20 years a huge amount has been done to make sure racism doesn't have a part or a presence in football."
Hughes also acknowledged the situation has run for far too long and is hopeful that the end of the argument is now in sight, although he reckons the whole affair has not distracted Ferdinand on the pitch.
He said: "I'm not aware if there is going to be any further action, it has gone on a long time.
"A lot has been said and I think there comes a point in time when you just have to move on - whether we are at that stage or Anton feels he is at that stage I don't know.
"I just feel it is a situation that was allowed to develop over a long period of time.
"I have said time and time again that I give credit to Anton, I don't think it has affected him, I think he has been strong in his mentality in dealing with everything that went on and I didn't see anything different in his attitude in training."
Racism has been back in the headlines in recent weeks with Lazio fans being fined for chanting at Tottenham's black players and England's Under-21s being targeted during a match in Serbia.
Hughes believes Britain is ahead of other countries throughout the world and identified the situation in Serbia on Tuesday evening as evidence.
He said: "When you see the events in Serbia, in fairness that is probably where we were 20 years ago.
"But we have made huge strides, unfortunately not every country has made the strides we have and that is down to campaigns like Kick It Out.
"Like I said, some people will feel more needs to be done and that is a personal view they take but I think we have done a lot of good work."