Hibernian 0 Livingston 2

  • By: Jon West, PA Sport
  • Last Updated: July 27 2012, 17:48 BST

Two goals in two second-half minutes from Derek Lilley and Jamie McAllister allowed Livingston to celebrate winning their first ever major trophy - the CIS Insurance Cup.

The achievement of the new town team, who only came into existence nine years ago, was made all the more remarkable by the fact they are one of three top-flight teams currently in administration.

It was also the first time since 1998 that one of the three major honours in Scotland had not been won by either Celtic or Rangers.

Hibernian had knocked both out on their way to the final but despite edging the first half could only produce a day to forget for the 37,000 fans who had travelled to watch them.

Livi's support was six times smaller but their more experienced players, who had all escaped the cost-cutting culling that followed administration, were superior on the day.

The win was also a milestone for Livi manager Davie Hay, who had taken over earlier in the season when the Brazilian Marcio Maximo ended a short stint in charge.

Previously, Hay had amassed no fewer than six loser's medals in this competition as both player and manager.

Bobby Williamson's side had made the stronger start however and forced a number of corners before carving out the first clear cut chance of the match.

Livingston's front pairing of Lilley and David Fernandez had been finding it difficult to hold the ball up and when the former tried an over-ambitious flick Roland Edge seized on the ball and sent the it straight back over the top.

That allowed Scott Brown to get the benefit of a borderline offside decision to go clear and it took a good block from Livi goalkeeper Roddy McKenzie to deny him.

The danger was still there however as Garry O'Connor beat McKenzie to the loose ball by a matter of milliseconds and despatched it goalwards only to see the giant frame of Marvin Andrews get in the way before it could cross the


McKenzie's next save of note was to prevent his own man McAllister from scoring an own goal after a Derek Riordan cross from the left had flicked off another defender and thumped off the former Aberdeen man's chest at the back


Hibernian had dominated a largely scrappy first 45 minutes but could still have gone in at the break a goal down had not Daniel Andersson made a crucial intervention on the one occasion he was needed.

A long ball from the left from McAllister sent the speedy Fernandez sprinting clear of the Hibs backline and the Frenchman was able to poke the ball goalwards as Andersson came to meet him.

However the ball took a deflection off the Swede's outstretched boot and was diverted harmlessly wide.

An early second-half chance was squandered by Brown when he failed to make contact at point blank range at the near post after the Livi backline had allowed him the opportunity of a header.

It was a costly miss as Livi then punished Hibs with two goals in as many minutes.

Lilley was the supplier of the first in the 50th minute with an instinctive finish after Burton O'Brien had made an unchecked run down the left and cut the ball back from the byline. Lilley's clipped finish neatly bisected Colin Murdock and Mathias Doumbe before zipping past Andersson.

McAllister was the man who dealt the hammer second blow, timing his run from deep to perfection to latch on to a Fernandez throughball.

No defender could catch him and the Scotland B international slotted the ball past Andersson before he even reached the penalty box.

Gary Smith volleyed a good back post chance tentatively wide as Hibs sought a way back into the match and the skipper was replaced in the 63rd minute by Tom McManus.

Another change followed six minutes later when Stephen Dobbie replaced Alan Reid. Dobbie had made an impact in the semi-final by netting his side's only normal time goal against Rangers but this time he was destined only to collect a loser's medal.

Dobbie did fire a long-range fizzer just wide after McKenzie had made a fine stop from a McManus header.

But all that remained was for the two teams to trade bookings, with Emmanuel Dorado punished for a foul on Brown, who took his revenge on Fernandez a couple of minutes later and was lucky not to be sent off after that when he continued to make reckless challenges.


Hibernian Andersson, Smith (McManus 63), Murdock, Doumbe,

Edge, Scott Brown, Caldwell, Reid (Dobbie 70), Thomson,

O'Connor, Riordan.

Subs Not Used: Whittaker, Nicol, Alistair Brown.

Booked: Thomson, Scott Brown.

Livingston McKenzie, Rubio, Andrews, Dorado,

McNamee (McLaughlin 80), Makel, Lovell, O'Brien (McGovern 90),

McAllister, Fernandez (Pasquinelli 86), Lilley.

Subs Not Used: Snowdon, Main.

Booked: Dorado, McAllister.

Goals: Lilley 50, McAllister 52.

Att: 45,500

Ref: W Young (Scotland).