Sunderland victory in Peace Cup

  • Last Updated: July 22 2012, 13:58 BST

Late goals from Fraizer Campbell and Ryan Noble gave Sunderland a 3-2 victory over Groningen in the Peace Cup at the Suwon Stadium on Sunday.

Noble strikes the winner for Sunderland

Connor Wickham had given the Wearsiders the lead after eight minutes but Hyun Jun Suk equalised with a wonderful acrobatic effort.

Groningen then snatched the lead on 43 minutes through Mitchell Schet but Sunderland levelled the game with just two minutes remaining when Campbell met a delivery from Craig Gardner inside the six-yard box.

The Black Cats still had time to complete their comeback when Noble raced onto a long ball and the substitute volleyed home from 25-yards.

On Saturday, Manchester United needed a last-minute Bebe goal to avoid a shock defeat to local Ajax side in Cape Town, the forgotten striker salvaging a 1-1 draw.

The Red Devils failed to exert any significant pressure until the much-maligned Bebe fashioned a response to Alcardo van Graan's smartly-taken goal four minutes from time.

It was the introduction of record signing Dimitar Berbatov that really livened the 50,000 crowd up, though Van Graan threatened to emerge the hero until Bebe struck at the far post.

Gabriel Agbonlahor scored the winner for Aston Villa in their pre-season friendly against the Chicago Fire before being forced off with an ankle injury.

The 25-year-old forward headed home Chris Herd's cross in the 29th minute to secure the Barclays Premier League club a second straight 1-0 success on their United States tour

Lucas Leiva made his comeback from injury as Liverpool played out a 1-1 draw with Toronto FC in Brendan Rodgers' first game in charge.

Even without several senior members of his squad, Rodgers decided to select a different XI for each half and there were further substitutions as well, including a welcome return for Lucas following eight months out with anterior cruciate ligament damage.

There was little goalmouth action in the first half but the Reds looked eager to impress and Dani Pacheco caught the eye with a lively performance, with Alberto Aquilani also granted an opportunity to shine in midfield.

The game came to life after the interval and it was Toronto who broke the deadlock just before the hour mark when Peter Gulacsi could only parry a shot from Andrew Wiedeman and Quincy Amarikwa slotted home.

The lead lasted little more than 10 minutes as Adam Morgan provided the simplest of finishes into an empty net after a brilliant run and shot from the impressive Raheem Sterling.

Newcastle had to settle for a 1-1 draw with Fenerbahce as Mehdi Abeid's opener was cancelled out in the last minute.

The Magpies produced an impressive performance and it looked like they would emerge victorious until Christian Baroni struck for the Turkish side just before the final whistle.

Fenerbahce carved out several chances to open the scoring, with former Liverpool man Dirk Kuyt among those going close with a volley that hit the side-netting.

Newcastle still posed an attacking threat of their own, with the fit-again Sylvain Marveaux catching the eye before being substituted.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 76th minute when Abeid collected the ball from Gael Bigirimana, held off a defender and slotted home.

Shola Ameobi and Papiss Cisse had chances to extend Newcastle's lead before Baroni's first-time effort beat Rob Elliot and flew into the bottom corner.

Nicky Law's thunderous second-half strike gave Motherwell a share of the spoils against Everton in a 1-1 draw celebrating Stevie Hammell's testimonial at Fir Park.

In front of the 4,512 fans, including 1,049 from Merseyside, who turned out to pay tribute to the Steelmen's left-back, Shane Duffy gave the visitors the lead in the 34th minute with a header which went in off the post.

However, midfielder Law levelled in the 54th minute with a left-footed drive from the edge of the box which gave Toffees keeper Tim Howard no chance.

West Ham edged out a tenacious Colchester side 2-1 at the Weston Homes Community Stadium.

Nicky Maynard and Mark Noble were on target for the Hammers while Anthony Wordsworth gave the home side hope for the second half with a 39th-minute goal.

James Vaughan scored twice for Norwich but new manager Chris Hughton still tasted defeat in his first game in charge as they were beaten 3-2 by Hertha Berlin in Austria.

The Canaries got off to a bright start, enjoying some joy down the right flank before Hertha striker Elias Kachunga scored twice in as many minutes on his way to securing a hat-trick.

First he was put through one-on-one with City stopper John Ruddy before slotting confidently home on 12 and he scored again straight afterwards with a cool finish from inside the area.

Hughton changed his entire side for the second half and the move paid dividends as Vaughan beat the offside trap to shoot through the keeper's legs after latching onto a through ball from Anthony Pilkington (49).

But any thoughts of a comeback were soon extinguished when Daniel Ayala was adjudged to have fouled Kachunga in the penalty area.

The striker picked himself up off the turf before drilling his spot-kick straight down the middle of the goal to seal his treble.

Swansea romped to a 5-0 victory over Port Talbot, with Stephen Dobbie netting a hat-trick.

The Scottish forward was joined on the scoresheet by Leroy Lita and Henry Jones.

Mladen Petric's brace helped Fulham to a 2-2 draw with Kaiserslautern.

Ilian Micanski and Albert Bunjaku gave the German outfit a two-goal cushion inside 14 minutes, but summer signing Petric scored either side of half time to earn Martin Jol's side a draw.

Nuno Gomes scored his first goal for Blackburn as they comfortably beat Fleetwood 2-0 in the first of a double-header of pre-season friendlies at Accrington's Crown Ground.

Rovers took an early lead when Gomes headed a cross from Bruno Ribiero into the path of Mauro Formica, who slid the ball home on six minutes.

The second goal for Steve Kean's side finally came when Gomes volleyed home from 15 yards via the inside of the upright.

Bolton's poor pre-season form continued as an Andy Ryan effort helped Hamilton to a 2-0 win at New Douglas Park.

Sloppy defending down the left allowed Connor McGlinchey the time and space to locate Ryan, and he bundled the ball past Andy Lonergan from close range.

It was more neat work from McGlinchey that brought the second goal in the 68th minute when his pace left Khalifa Cisse trailing and Stephen Hendrie lashed home after Bolton failed to clear.

Charlie Austin struck twice as Burnley beat Blue Square Bet North side Altrincham 4-1 at Moss Lane.

Chris McCann fired the Clarets into the lead with a left-footed drive from 18 yards, before Burnley eventually doubled their lead through Danny Ings.

Two became three on 50 as Charlie Austin smashed home after getting on the end of Danny Lafferty's square ball across the box.

Altrincham pulled a goal back through sub John McCarten but Austin went on to complete the scoring in the final minute of the contest when he headed home an inviting cross from Keith Treacy.

Peterborough were beaten 1-0 by Crawley as their pre-season friendly campaign got off to a disappointing start at the Broadfield Stadium.

Former Millwall striker Gary Alexander scored the only goal of the game as Posh were outclassed in Sussex.