Martinez: No bids for big names
Everton boss Roberto Martinez insists there has been no fresh approach from Manchester United for Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines - and claims he has not made a bid for Wigan's James McCarthy.
- Related Content
The Latics have already rejected one bid from United from the pair and there have been reports that a new bid has been made.
But Martinez, whose Everton side take on Stevenage in the Capital One Cup at Goodison Park on Wednesday night, said that is not the case.
Asked if there had been a new offer from United, he replied: "No, no other news."
He told Everton's official website: "I know we are going to be talking about the transfer window but that's not what we are focusing on now."
Asked about the transfer window unsettling players at his stage of the season, Martinez said: "It happens up and down the country and it is a global concern in football. I think the football authorities need to look into it and not put the players, the fans and the league in this situation.
"You are going to get people's minds turned in every dressing room in the country, but that's what the laws in the game are forcing us to do.
"It's not a great situation so that's why we want to focus on the games."
United boss David Moyes' attempted raid on his former club saw an initial bid of £28million for the two players - Everton responded by releasing a statement describing the offer as "derisory and insulting."
Moyes signed Belgium midfielder Fellaini for Everton in 2008 for a fee that has already reached £17million with add-ons, yet United appear to be offering only £16million for the 25-year-old.
Martinez admits he is still looking at new signings ahead of Monday's transfer deadline, but is adamant no bid has been made to his old club Wigan for McCarthy.
He said: "There has been no bid made. I think it's quite easy to understand that James is a player I signed at a young age and I've got huge admiration for him, so it doesn't take anyone [much] to create a little bit of a story. But there has been no bid."
Martinez added: "What we're doing actively is trying to identify maybe another strong character that can help us in the dressing room.
"But as I've mentioned before, I'm very, very happy with the squad. We made a strong effort to bring players in really early in the window to make sure that they could adapt to the dressing room and I'm very pleased with that.
"But while the window is open, you always need to be actively looking around to see if you can get anyone to help the squad."
Darron Gibson has an outside chance of playing against Stevenage after a knee injury, although the match will probably come too soon, while defender Tony Hibbert should be involved against the League One side.
Martinez also confirmed summer signing Antolin Alcaraz is due to be back in training this week and should be fully fit after the international break.