Barry future may soon be sorted
Manchester City midfielder Gareth Barry's future at the club could be determined before the end of the season.
- Related Content
The 32-year-old England international, a £12million signing from Aston Villa in 2009, will enter the final year of his contract in the summer.
Barry has said he would like to extend his stay and even end his career at the Etihad Stadium but his contract situation has led to speculation about his future.
Manager Roberto Mancini is a big admirer of the player and, with fellow midfielder Yaya Toure tied to a new deal just last week, the Italian has suggested Barry could be next.
When asked about Barry at his latest press conference, Mancini said: "I think we have three or four players in this situation.
"We will decide this in the next month but these players are important players for us.
"I am very happy with Gareth because Gareth is a good guy and a serious professional player. He is really serious as a man."
Another player who will only have one year remaining on his contract by the summer is striker Carlos Tevez.
Mancini has previously hinted the Argentinian could be offered a one-year extension to his deal.
Tevez, who impressed in Monday's defeat of Manchester United and has scored seven goals in his last seven appearances, is currently training and playing while carrying out community service.
The 29-year-old was ordered to undertake 250 hours of unpaid work after being convicted of driving whilst disqualified earlier this month.
Mancini claims there has not been any issue balancing his responsibilities.
When asked if it could lead to problems, Mancini said: "I don't think so, no."
Mancini also does not anticipate a problem with Tevez travelling to the United States for City's post-season tour.
City have arranged to play two friendlies against Chelsea, in St Louis and New York, when their domestic commitments are over.
Asked if Tevez could travel Mancini, who was speaking to media ahead of Sunday's FA Cup semi-final against the London side, said: "I don't know this - I think he can go."
Mancini laughed when it was suggested Tevez could brush streets in New York.
He said: "Could be, why not? It is better in New York!"
Mancini will check on the fitness of two other key players ahead of Sunday's game at Wembley.
Playmaker David Silva was rated highly doubtful immediately after suffering a hamstring injury at Old Trafford but has improved since and has not yet been ruled out.
Mancini said: "We will decide, I think, on Sunday morning.
"We don't know if it is possible and if there is a risk he will not play, but if there is not then maybe.
"He is getting better. Yesterday he ran, so I think we have a chance."
Striker Sergio Aguero, who came off the bench to score a superb winner on Monday, is not yet a definite starter as the club manage his return from a knee injury.
The manager said: "I don't think he is fit 100 per cent.
"If he was he would have played the whole game against United.
"But now he is getting better and his knee is okay. It could be that he starts."
The FA Cup represents City's only realistic hope of silverware this season after appearing to fail in the Barclays Premier League.
Despite this week's win over their neighbours, City still trail United by 12 points at the top of the table with just seven games remaining.
Numerous reasons for the disappointment have been put forward and Mancini rues a spell in January and February when the team dropped points to QPR, Liverpool and Southampton.
He said: "I am frustrated for this because we lost some points where if we had paid attention we could have taken important points for the championship.
"But I think we had a difficult moment when (we played) QPR, Liverpool, Southampton - these games, we lost seven points there and the gap was too big.
"I think there are some moments in the season when it is not important if you play well or not - it is important you win. Instead we lost important points."