Schalke eye Holtby resolution

  • Last Updated: January 28 2013, 12:24 GMT

Schalke general manager Horst Heldt says Tottenham are yet to make an improved offer to sign Lewis Holtby this month but expects a resolution to the situation early this week.

Heldt expects a solution to the Holtby (pictured) saga early this week
Heldt expects a solution to the Holtby (pictured) saga early this week

Germany international midfielder Holtby has already signed a pre-contract agreement to join Spurs when he becomes a free agent at the end of the season.

But the North Londoners are thought to be pushing to bring him to White Hart Lane this month as manager Andre Villas-Boas looks to strengthen his midfield options following injury to Sandro.

The Bundesliga club last week claimed to have rejected Tottenham's offer to sign the 22-year-old this month, branding the bid "unacceptable".

Heldt says Spurs are yet to table an improved offer and reports in France suggest Schalke are waiting on that bid to help fund a move for Lyon's Michel Bastos.

The Schalke chief is hoping the situation will be resolved soon, telling L'Equipe: "We didn't have any news from Tottenham since the first proposition we refused five days ago."

"But the situation should sort itself out early this week."


Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week