Sandro out for rest of season
Tottenham midfielder Sandro is expected to miss the rest of the season after undergoing surgery on his right knee.
- Related Content
The 23-year-old Brazilian was forced off during Spurs' 0-0 draw with QPR on Saturday.
He underwent an operation on his knee earlier this week.
A short statement on the Tottenham website read: "Following consultation with the knee surgeon, the club can report that Sandro is expected to be sidelined for the rest of the season after surgery on his right knee.
"The Brazil international was forced off during Saturday's game against Queens Park Rangers after injuring both his Anterior Cruciate Ligament and Lateral Meniscus."
Despite Sandro's injury, Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas will resist the temptation to enter the transfer market to sign a replacement.
"The only thing we have done at the moment is hold on to our midfielders, the ones who are here," Villas-Boas said.
"We have put on hold the movement of Jake Livermore's possible loan to another club. It is not out of the question, I think we are still pretty happy with what we have.
"We have to be careful. We still have a couple of weeks before the market closes, so we have to be careful with the decision and it will be something we hold on to and see how we go."
When asked if he was lining up any new arrivals the Portuguese replied: "It is not impossible but it is unlikely. At the moment there is nothing."
England international Scott Parker is the likely replacement for Sandro, with the former West Ham skipper only just returning from an Achilles problem.
The 32-year-old has not started a Premier League game since April but has returned in recent weeks, and Villas-Boas believes he will play a vital role for Spurs.
"Scott was out at the beginning of the season and he is going to be a major boost for us in midfield," he said.
"Tom Huddlestone showed good levels in the game against Coventry and Jake was always there threatening, so I think we will be fine."