Adebayor issues Spurs warning
Emmanuel Adebayor has warned Tottenham their season will be as good as over unless they start to improve quickly.
- Related Content
Should Tottenham lose to West Ham on Sunday, they will have lost four successive league games for the first time in eight years.
Defeats against Arsenal, Manchester City and Wigan mean Andre Villas-Boas' men could be languishing in mid-table by Sunday night if they put in another disappointing display against an in-form West Ham side.
Tottenham have lacked the cutting edge that won them two top-four places in the last three years and have looked incredibly shaky in defence on several occasions this season.
Adebayor cut a remarkably pessimistic figure as he trudged out of the Stadio Olimpico on Thursday night after Spurs' fortuitous 0-0 draw against Lazio, and urged his team-mates to up their game fast.
"We're all frustrated about the way things are going," he said.
"I don't know what's not clicking. Hopefully it will start clicking as soon as possible otherwise, trust me, we will find ourselves in difficulty.
"My friends tell me to keep positive so I don't really want to think about how bad it could be. If we get badder (sic) than this, I think we'd be dead.
"It was our lucky day against Lazio. They got so many chances.
"At the moment, things are looking bad, but we just have to find a way to get through this. We have to improve because we're not playing the best game at the moment."
Adebayor has struggled to deal with his own disappointment at not playing much this campaign.
He was the club's leading marksman under Harry Redknapp last season, but he has had to play second fiddle to Jermain Defoe this term.
A series of injuries, and Villas-Boas' preference for Defoe, means the Togolese has only started two Premier League games.
Adebayor said: "It's looking like one of the bad seasons I'm going to have, but I'm just going to have to turn things around, keep doing my thing. It's looking bad."
Adebayor's frustration will have to continue for a while yet as he is banned for Tottenham's next three games.
The former Manchester City striker played the pantomime villain's role to perfect last weekend when he scored the opening goal against Arsenal but was then given a straight red after launching into a sliding studs-up challenge on Santi Cazorla.
Adebayor, who played for Arsenal for three years, apologised for the red card in the immediate aftermath of the game, but on Friday claimed he does not regret making the tackle.
Adebayor said: "If I got the ball, these things wouldn't happen but I don't regret going for the tackle, because I'm a player and that's what I work for, that's my job.
"When it's 50-50, if I have to go into another challenge like that, I'd make sure I didn't touch the player, but 50-50 I will always go for it. I just regret touching the player.
"It was one of the bad days in my career and everybody has a bad day at work."
After seeing so little action earlier this season, Adebayor was linked to Spanish club Celta Vigo.
The striker, who moved to White Hart Lane this summer on a permanent deal, laughed off suggestions he wanted out of Spurs though, saying: "I'm leaving? That's new.
"I'm here, I have just signed a new four-year deal. I'm happy, my family's happy in London, I'm happy playing for Tottenham.
"It's a good club. I work hard to sign for the club so I cannot see myself moving now, but if the club want me out, I don't have a choice."