Martinez upbeat despite Moses loss

  • Last Updated: August 30 2012, 15:27 BST

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez is confident his side will prosper in the Barclays Premier League this season despite losing key forward Victor Moses.

Roberto Martinez: We are strong in the way we want to play

The Latics have flirted with relegation for the last few years but Martinez believes his squad is now packed with strength-in-depth after a sustained period of building, despite the departure of one of his prized assets.

Moses left Wigan for European Champions Chelsea in a £9million move last week, leaving Martinez to reshape his attacking line in the form of the returning Mauro Boselli, new striker Arouna Kone and Franco Di Santo.

With his second-string side winning comfortably against Nottingham Forest on Tuesday night in the Capital One Cup, the Wigan boss thinks this could be the season where the north west club kick on.

"For many seasons now we tried to be able to cope with two or three different competitions," Martinez said.

"I think the demands are huge if you want to go out and win every single game, it is impossible to do it with 13 or 14 players. You really need to do it with 19, 20 or 21 players.

"In the past we couldn't make six, seven or eight changes and carry on being competitive and playing the way we wanted to play. It's taken us this long to be a very competitive side and whoever is going to be on the pitch, we are clearly very strong in the way we want to play.

"The game on Tuesday was a really good game of football because of a good result from our point of view.

"It's a credit to the players' work in pre-season and the amount they've been working and coping with disappointment when they haven't been involved and just taking the opportunity.

"That's what allows you to work as a football club and get into a level that in the past we probably haven't been able to reach. That's pleasing and it shows good progress."

Martinez admitted he will struggle to find a like-for-like replacement for Moses this late in the transfer window but is still keeping a look out in case someone catches his eye.

He said: "It's a case of finding the players we want to try to improve the squad.

"That's been the case whether we're going to lose any players or not. We have to cope with moving players on.

"I think Victor Moses was such an influential player and such a special player for us I don't think you can replace him with another individual.

"You probably have to replace him with another way of playing in that attacking third or find another way to get the players to fulfil his responsibilities.

"As a whole I'm really pleased with the players we've got but I wouldn't be doing my job properly if I didn't keep my eyes open because sometimes in the last 48 hours you get opportunities you can't turn down."

Wigan began their Premier League campaign with a loss to Chelsea before beating new boys Southampton 2-0 and following that up with the 4-1 win over Forest.

Martinez revealed he is pleased that goals are coming from several different sources, which in turn, softens the blow of Moses' departure.

The Wigan boss said: "I always felt that goals, especially in our football club, you don't rely on one player to score goals.

"If you have a player that scores 30 goals I think it's something you will lose very soon in the market.

"We've got three strikers this season and all of them have scored already, with Mauro Boselli back from Argentina. You've got Arouna Kone who's just arrived at the football club and it looks as if he's been around for many years.

"Franco Di Santo has started the season where he left it last campaign so I'm really, really pleased with the different options we've got up front, with the different types of footballers that we've got.

"We need to be consistent with our performances and I think we have shown what we are capable of.

"Now the next step is being able to be consistent over the length of 10 months."