Duff quits international arena
Republic of Ireland winger Damien Duff has retired from international football.
- Related Content
The 33-year-old has won 100 caps since making his debut in 1998 but has now informed coach Giovanni Trapattoni he no longer wishes to be considered for selection.
Duff told the Football Association of Ireland's website: "I found it very difficult to make this decision, not least for the respect in which I hold Giovanni Trapattoni.
"I have enjoyed so many good times in the green jersey and want to thank everyone involved, especially the fans for making the last 14 years so special.
"I want to wish Giovanni, Marco and everyone involved with the Irish team every success for the future and will be supporting them every step of the way."
Fulham midfielder Duff captained Ireland in their last Euro 2012 group game against Italy.
The news comes after goalkeeper Shay Given announced his international retirement last week.
Current Republic manager Giovanni Trapattoni said: "Damien will be missed by us and by Irish fans everywhere.
"He was immensely skilful and a great example to the players who come after him. I give him my warmest best wishes for his future career."
Duff joined Blackburn as a trainee in 1996 and stayed until 2003, spending three seasons at Chelsea and Newcastle before signing for Fulham in 2009.
He made his senior debut for the Republic against the Czech Republic alongside Robbie Keane.
Paddy McCaul, president of the FAI said: "Damien produced some moments of unforgettable magic on the pitch that will remain with Irish fans forever.
"We thank him for his enormous dedication over the last 14 years."
John Delaney, chief executive added: "I have no doubt that Damien Duff will go down in history as one of Ireland's greatest ever players.
"He has been an extraordinary servant to his country and has given us all some wonderful memories as well as being a true gentleman. Thank you Damien and all the best for the future."
The news emerged on the day Trapattoni announced his squad for the forthcoming World Cup qualifier against Kazakhstan on September 7 and the friendly against Oman five days later.
Trapattoni said: "It is important to get off to a good start at the opening match of our 2014 campaign. Kazakhstan is a good side who have caused difficulties at home for a number of leading teams but we know our strengths and will be relying on them when we travel to Astana in September."
Shane Long, who Trapattoni labelled "idiotic" last week after the striker announced he was fully fit to play in the goalless draw with Serbia, is included in the 23-man squad.
Motherwell's uncapped goalkeeper Darren Randolph is also called up and Stoke utility player Marc Wilson could add to the single cap he earned from the bench in the 2011 Nations Cup game against Wales.
Seven of the players named for the World Cup qualifier have five or less international caps to their name.
They are Wilson, Randolph, Millwall's David Forde, Wigan midfielder James McCarthy, Sunderland winger James McClean, Everton's Seamus Coleman and West Ham's Joey O'Brien.
Robbie Keane, who made his debut with the now-retired Duff in 1998, is the most experienced member of the squad with 120 caps and 53 goals.
Squad: Westwood, Forde, Randolph, Wilson, O'Shea, St Ledger, O'Dea, Ward, Kelly, McShane, Whelan, Gibson, McCarthy, Coleman, O'Brien, McGeady, Keogh, McClean, Keane, Doyle, Long, Cox, Walters.