Torres admits to Chelsea doubts

  • Last Updated: August 16 2012, 11:00 BST

Fernando Torres has conceded that there were times during the 2011/12 campaign when he wondered whether joining Chelsea had been a mistake.

Fernando Torres: 'The season was not for me'

Fernando Torres

9. Fernando Torres

Title Number
Appearances 23 (15)
Goals 12
Assists 5
Yellows 3
Reds 1
*Current Season

The Spain international completed a record-breaking £50million switch to Stamford Bridge from Liverpool in January 2011.

He has struggled to justify that hefty price tag and found himself on the fringes of Chelsea's FA Cup and Champions League successes last term.

Torres is, however, being billed as the man to lead the Blues' trophy quest in 2012/13, with the talismanic Dider Drogba having moved on and freed up an attacking berth.

A well-taken goal in a Community Shield defeat to Manchester City bodes well, as does winning the Golden Boot at Euro 2012, and the 28-year-old is hoping to put a nightmare 18 months in west London to the back of his mind.

Torres told Spanish newspaper La Razon: "The season was not for me, it was for others. Chelsea won the FA Cup but I didn't play the semi-final or final. I didn't taste anything.

"I feel I participated a bit more in the Champions League but, even so, it was not the Champions League I wanted to win, not like that. I want to win another Champions League and in a different way."

Torres is confident he can shine for Chelsea and has taken the time to thank the club's fans for their unwavering support and belief in his ability.

"You can think, 'Maybe Chelsea was not the team'," he said.

"But if you are a great player, you have to find your place.

"The fans helped me a lot. At times I was thinking 'I will sit here on the bench, I won't make any noise. I don't even want to play'. But they are demanding that you jump on the pitch and play. They lifted my spirits so many times.

"Whatever I do from now on will be for the fans. That is why I want to win another Champions League, for them."