Debuchy 'staying at Lille'
Lille president Michel Seydoux has told Newcastle to forget about signing Mathieu Debuchy after rejecting their latest offer.
- Related Content
It emerged on Thursday that the Magpies had tabled an improved offer for the 27-year-old France international after a pursuit lasting months.
However, Lille, who sold midfielder Yohan Cabaye to the Tyneside club for a bargain £4.8million last summer, have refused to budge on their valuation, and have now attempted to draw a line under the matter.
Seydoux told L'Equipe: "I have decided that Mathieu Debuchy will remain at LOSC.
"The offer from Newcastle is definitely not at the value of the player. For Mathieu Debuchy to leave, it would have taken the offer to be consistent and commensurate with his replacement.
"As the conditions are not met, it is my duty to make a decision."
Lille are understood to value Debuchy at around eight million euros - £6.3million - and while the Magpies' initial offer has been improved, it is yet to reach the level at which they are prepared to do business.
Seydoux's stance could represent a bargaining ploy, although Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has developed a reputation for refusing to pay more than the valuation he and his staff have placed on any player.
The Magpies could attempt to revive the process with a further bid, but could equally call it quits and either turn their attention elsewhere, or make do with what they already have.
Current right-back Danny Simpson has only a year left on his contract and is yet to agree a new deal, sparking speculation that he could leave Tyneside.
It has proved a testing summer for manager Alan Pardew as he waits for deals to be done, with the big names on his wish-list remaining elusive.
But equally, Debuchy has set his heart on a transfer which looked to have moved a step closer when Lille signed Djibril Sidibe from Troyes last month, and he is unlikely to take kindly to his current club's decision.