Fiorentina deny Chamakh offer talk
Fiorentina have denied making an offer for Arsenal striker Marouane Chamakh.
- Related Content
The Morocco international joined the Gunners on a Bosman free transfer from Bordeaux in 2010 but has failed to hold down a regular place at the Emirates Stadium.
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger was this week quoted as saying Fiorentina had made an offer for the 28-year-old but Viola sporting director Daniele Prade dismissed that claim and cited the player's wages as one reason they would not be pursuing a deal.
Prade told SportItalia: "Have we made an offer for Chamakh? We have not made one because he earns three million euros (per season)."
Prade did confirm, however, that Chamakh's Morocco striker partner Mounir El Hamdaoui would soon join the Florence outfit from Ajax.
"We hope to complete El Hamdaoui's transfer (on Wednesday)," Prade said. "He is a striker that our coach (Vincenzo Montella) likes a lot."
(reopens) Prade also announced the club would only consider selling leading striker Stevan Jovetic this summer if they receive an offer above 30 million euros.
Jovetic has been strongly linked with a move with reports in Italy claiming that Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Juventus are all in the race to acquire the Montenegro international.
Fiorentina are, however, reluctant to sell the 22-year-old, who is under contract with the Tuscan outfit until June 2016.
"Since the start of the season we have said that we are not selling Jovetic," Prade said. "There is, however, an agreement with the player that (should we get an offer) above a certain figure, we will sit down and evaluate the offer.
"So far we have not received an offer for the player.
"He is a top player and we will only consider offers above 30million euros.
"He (Jovetic) has the potential to become a player like (Roma captain) Francesco Totti."
Jovetic, who joined Fiorentina from Partizan in 2008, scored 14 league goals in 27 league appearances for the Viola last season.
(reopens) Prade confirmed the club had opened talks with Napoli target Valon Behrami over a two-year contract extension.
Napoli are among the clubs keen to acquire the 27-year-old Switzerland international, whose current deal with the Viola expires in June 2014.
"With Behrami we are negotiating a contract extension," Prade said. "Both parties are open to reach an agreement.
"We are discussing a contract until 2016.
"Napoli are interested in the player but they have not made an offer."
Behrami joined Fiorentina from West Ham in January 2011 and has developed into a key player.