Bolton Duo Offered New Deals

  • Last Updated: May 22 2012, 9:28 BST

Bolton are waiting on responses from Jussi Jaaskelainen and Zat Knight after offering the duo new contracts, chairman Phil Gartside has revealed.

Jussi Jaaskelainen: Has been offered a new deal

Gartside says the club are keen to retain their key players after suffering relegation to the Championship this season.

Nigel Reo-Coker has walked away from Bolton after activating the get-out clause in his contract, with the midfielder one of 12 members of Owen Coyle's squad to leave so far this summer.

Goalkeeper Jaaskelainen and defender Knight are both out of contract and have been offered new deals by the club, who are waiting on their answer, while winger Martin Petrov has agreed to stay for at least another year.

"It was important that we kept what was going to be a Premiership squad together," Gartside told Sky Sports.

"The only disappointment is Nigel Reo-Coker decided to invoke his get-out clause. You move on and we'll replace him with somebody else that's going to be as good, if not better.

"Martin Petrov's contract is already in place and his contract runs out at the end of next season. He's indicated that he's more than happy to stay.

"Zat Knight and Jussi were out of contract this year and we've made them offers. Watch this space, we're still waiting for replies from them."

Gartside insists Bolton can cope with playing in the Championship next season because contingency plans were put in place before their relegation was confirmed.

"I'd rather be talking about a Premier League season, of course I would. But we did actually prepare for it," he added.

"I think every club should do that in the bottom half of the table these days. It's inevitable that one year you might just have a bad run like we did on injuries or whatever reason and you've got to plan for it."

Meanwhile, Bolton have signed a deal with adidas which brings to an end the longest kit partnership in British football history.

For 22 years Wanderers have had their kit made by Bolton-born brand Reebok and although the company will retain its status as stadium naming rights holder their will no longer feature on shirts.

"I would like to thank Reebok for their outstanding support in their capacity as technical kit sponsor over the past 22 years,'' said Bolton chief executive Allan Duckworth.

"The move is a logical one for all parties. Reebok's focus on their heritage in fitness and the move away from football provided this opportunity for the club to secure a new technical kit sponsor and in adidas we have found the very best.''