Wigan Deny Nicky Maynard Bid Reports

  • By: Graeme Bailey
  • Last Updated: January 25 2012, 16:32 GMT

Wigan have issued a statement insisting they have not lodged an official bid for Bristol City striker Nicky Maynard.

Nicky Maynard: Told he could talk to Wigan

The Robins stated on Tuesday that the Latics had permission to speak with their striker - who is out of contract in the summer.

But Wigan say they have only ever made an informal enquiry for the 25-year-old - denying fresh reports that Maynard has shunned a move to the DW Stadium.

Jonathan Jackson, chief executive, said: "An informal enquiry was made as to the player's availability last week, but that really is as far as it goes at this stage.

"We are therefore disappointed by suggestions that talks are in an advanced stage. Some reports even suggest the player has turned a move to Wigan Athletic, when in fact, no bid has been lodged.

"It is normal for clubs to communicate with each other to ascertain the availability of players - especially during a transfer window.

"However, we believe these conversations should remain confidential, otherwise, as we have seen in this instance, it can lead to exaggerated speculation."