Davide Santon Raring to Go
Davide Santon has declared himself ready to compete for a place in the Newcastle side after returning to full fitness.
- Related Content
The Italian full-back made the move to St James' Park from Inter Milan over the summer but has had to be patient after being kept on the sidelines by a knee problem.
He has now recovered from the injury and turned out for the reserves in their game against Swansea on Wednesday night.
Santon accepts that it will be difficult to break into Alan Pardew's starting XI, especially with the Magpies unbeaten so far this season and their defence performing well.
However, the 20-year-old is looking forward to the challenge and hopes to make an impression in English football.
"I will give everything on the pitch and show that I am a good player," he told the Newcastle Evening Chronicle.
"There are already good players here and I must show what I have first.
"But I am happy about the challenge that lies ahead for me.
"I want to show my character and be a great player for Newcastle."
Newcastle moved for Santon after losing left-back Jose Enrique to Liverpool but his versatility is also likely to come in useful.
He said: "I can play on the right or the left. Obviously, I am a defender, but I enjoy going forward!
"In time I want to be settled here.
"But I can enjoy life here at Newcastle and I am looking forward to playing in front of a packed house at St James' Park as soon as I can."