Olsen misses press conference

  • Last Updated: June 11 2010, 12:45 BST

Denmark coach Morten Olsen was unable to conduct his press conference on Thursday morning as he battles a virus.

Olsen - struggling with virus.

The 60-year-old is back on his feet after missing training for the past two days because of illness, but was not well enough to carry out his media duties at the Loerie Park Stadium in Krysna.

Lars Berendt, the Danish Football Association's communications director, told www.spn.dk: "Morten Olsen is up from bed, but he is not healthy.

"He reluctantly did not meet with the press in case he infected any of you."

Denmark open their Group E campaign against Holland at Soccer City in Johannesburg on Monday afternoon.

Meanwhile, Denmark goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen has revealed he turned down the chance to join Spanish giants Barcelona earlier in his career.

The 33-year-old, who is expected to start against the Dutch, had the chance to go to the Nou Camp to understudy Victor Valdes, but opted to stay in England and play first-team football.

Sorensen told www.spn.dk: "There have been opportunities during my career - for example, when Barcelona approached five years ago.

"It was not 100% a deal, but I was not interested in being the second goalie.

"I do not think I would have been standing here if I had said 'Yes' to it.

"I'm not afraid of competition, but there must be a realistic opportunity to play."

Sorensen, who is currently playing at Premier League Stoke after spells with Sunderland and Aston Villa, might also have plied his trade at Manchester United had he not been so determined to play regularly.

He said: "The summer I moved to Sunderland, I got a call that Manchester United would have signed a contract with me.

"If I look back, I do not think that it was the right thing. I could have been the third goalkeeper."