Aberdeen 5 - 0 FK Daugava Riga

Match info: Europa League Qualifying - 1st Rnd at Pittodrie Stadium

Date: 03/07/2014 KO: 19:45 Ref: Nicolas Rainville Att: 15,184

Home team/scorers Scores Away team/scorers


Shaleum Logan 33
Adam Rooney 52 (pen),90+2
Niall McGinn 49
Jonny Hayes 73


FK Daugava Riga

FT (ht: 1-0)

  • Last Updated: July 31 2014, 12:27 BST

Adam Rooney scored twice as Aberdeen began their Europa League campaign in commanding fashion with a 5-0 victory over nine-man Daugava Riga at Pittodrie.

Niall McGinn scores Aberdeen's second goal against FK Daugava Riga
Niall McGinn scores Aberdeen's second goal against FK Daugava Riga

The Dons dominated from the start and Shay Logan headed a 33rd-minute opener from a Jonny Hayes cross after Barry Robson missed an early penalty.

The hosts scored twice within three minutes early in the second half, Niall McGinn netting from close range and then Rooney converting a spot-kick.

Rooney set up Jonny Hayes to net from eight yards in the 73rd minute and the Irish striker rounded off the scoring in injury-time when he flicked the ball past the goalkeeper following a Hayes cross.

Daugava, who sit seventh in the 10-team Latvian top flight, never troubled Dons goalkeeper Jamie Langfield and resorted to naked aggression as they struggled to get to grips with the home side, seeing two players sent off and another five players booked.

Aberdeen were starting their season less than eight weeks after defeat to Motherwell consigned them to the first qualifying round but, with their League Cup-winning team intact, they showed little sign of ring rust, although they had enough chances for an even more convincing win.

Aberdeen suffered a shock European defeat to Skonto Riga 20 years ago and the visitors are 19 games into their season but the Latvian side were 25-1 with some bookies to win at Pittodrie.

The Dons showed why in the opening stages, with Robson seeing a shot saved inside 40 seconds before a succession of crosses caused problems for the underdogs.

One led to a 14th-minute penalty when French referee Nicolas Rainville spotted Edijs Joskts nudging Rooney in the back.

However, Robson's spot-kick was too central and allowed Emilijus Rubas to save before the goalkeeper blocked Rooney's follow-up.

The pressure continued. McGinn had three efforts but could not seriously trouble Rubas, Peter Pawlett burst through but his cutback could not find Rooney, who soon mistimed a free header from Ryan Jack's cross.

But the onslaught paid off in the 33rd minute. A deep cross from Hayes found fellow full-back Logan completely unmarked and he dived to head across the goalkeeper and into the corner of the net.

McGinn came close from a free-kick but Aberdeen suffered a blow when Pawlett went off injured just after half-time, having failed to recover from a sneaky kick to his Achilles by Giedrius Tomkevicius.

The loss failed to knock them off their stride and McGinn converted from close range at the second attempt after Jack played a low cross into the six-yard box.

McGinn soon hit the bar from close in after a good run from substitute Cammy Smith and the Dons moved three ahead after Joksts gave away his second penalty of the evening when Rainville ruled he had handled a cross. Rooney took the ball and finished low to the goalkeeper's left.

Daugava's chances were further weakened when Vitalijs Zils received a second yellow card for a foul on Robson.

Hayes headed over from six yards after Robson's cross had found him unmarked but the Irishman atoned when he slotted home after Rooney had headed another Robson cross back into the goalmouth.

Aurimas Kucys then followed Zils down the tunnel after a daft foul on McGinn to pick up his second booking and Rooney made the Latvians pay further in stoppage time.