Hearts 2 - 4 Partick Thistle

Match info: Scottish Premier at Tynecastle

Date: 07/05/2014 KO: 19:45 Ref: Att: 14,059

Home team/scorers Scores Away team/scorers


Callum Paterson 16
Danny Wilson 41



Lyle Taylor 31
Gary Fraser 51
Lee Mair 68
Kallum Higginbotham 73

FT (ht: 2-1)

  • Last Updated: May 7 2014, 22:15 BST

Partick confirmed their place in next season's Scottish Premiership after beating Hearts 4-2 in a compelling contest at Tynecastle.

Callum Paterson scores to give Hearts the lead
Callum Paterson scores to give Hearts the lead

The Jags twice came from behind as Lyle Taylor and Gary Fraser cancelled out goals from Callum Paterson and Danny Wilson.

Lee Mair then put the visitors ahead for the first time in the match before Kallum Higginbotham sealed the points.

The win in Edinburgh was enough to see Alan Archibald's side avoid the relegation play-off place ahead of the weekend's final fixtures of season.

There was very little for either set of supporters to get excited about during a slow start to the game.

Thistle midfielder Stuart Bannigan had the first effort at goal but he dragged a left-footed shot wide from 25 yards.

Higginbotham then brought a decent stop out of Hearts goalkeeper Mark Ridgers with a half-volley from outside the area after the hosts failed to clear Aaron Taylor-Sinclair's free-kick into the box.

Hearts went ahead in the 16th minute with a fine strike from Paterson. The right-back encountered little resistance as he raced forward from his own half, created space on the edge of the Thistle box with a step over and rifled a left-footed strike into the corner of the net - despite Thistle keeper Paul Gallacher getting a palm to the ball.

Hearts should have doubled their lead three minutes later but Billy King, who timed his run to perfection to beat the offside trap and collect Dale Carrick's pass, lashed a left-footed shot over the bar from close range with just Gallacher to beat.

The Jags regrouped and Higginbotham had a low shot from the corner of the box saved by Ridgers.

But the visitors were level in the 31st minute when Taylor raced on to Higginbotham's pass and slipped the ball through the legs of the goalkeeper.

Thistle looked more assure of themselves and Taylor glanced a header wide from close range moments later after connecting with James Craigen's delivery.

Hearts restored their lead four minutes before the break through Wilson. The home side were awarded a free-kick outside the box after Mair fouled Sam Nicholson and defender Wilson peeled off at the back post to head Kevin McHattie's delivery back across goal and into the net.

Thistle thought they had levelled five minutes after the restart when Taylor volleyed Higginbotham's delivery into the net but the assistant referee had flagged for offside.

The Maryhill outfit, however, scored a legitimate equaliser a minute later when Fraser, who accepted Craigen's pass in a central position 25 yards from goal, unleashed a ferocious drive that flew into the top corner beyond Ridgers.

Hearts responded with a free-kick from McHattie that had Gallacher concerned but the left-back's shot flew just wide.

Jags goalscorer Taylor then had a sliced first-time shot tipped over by Ridgers after Hearts defender Wilson's attempted clearance cannoned of Craigen.

Thistle went ahead for the first time in the game in the 68th minute with a close range header from Mair.

Higginbotham's deep corner was headed back across goal by Taylor-Sinclair and Mair nodded in.

Thistle then created a two-goal cushion in the 73rd minute through Higginbotham when the winger drilled a shot past Ridgers after the goalkeeper could only parry Taylor's effort.

Hearts struggled to break Thistle down as they went in search of goals and the hosts' woes were compounded when Paterson limped off with a knee injury.

New Sky Bet customers: Free matched bet up to £30