Germany 0 - 0 Poland

Match info: International at Imtech Arena

Date: 13/05/2014 KO: 19:45 Ref: David Borbalan Att: 37,569

Home team/scorers Scores Away team/scorers




FT (ht: 0-0)

  • Last Updated: May 14 2014, 0:11 BST

Germany got their World Cup preparations off to an underwhelming start as they played out a dull 0-0 draw with Poland at the Imtech Arena in Hamburg.

Germany midfielder Julian Draxler in action against Poland
Germany midfielder Julian Draxler in action against Poland

Antonio Rudiger and Andre Hahn each had shots cleared off the line but the hosts never really came close to doing enough to earn victory.

Joachim Low had to shuffle his pack for the friendly, with Julian Draxler the only survivor in the starting line-up from the 5-3 win over Sweden in their last World Cup qualifier in October.

Low handed full international debuts to four players, including former Everton centre-back Shkodran Mustafi, with most of his key men still tied up with club duties.

Germany assistant coach Hansi Flick said earlier this week that the friendly would be a great opportunity for fringe players to make their case to go to Brazil, but the game began at a pedestrian pace with neither side offering much.

All they could manage were tame long-range shots that were easily gathered by Germany's Ron-Robert Zieler and Poland's Artur Boruc respectively, before Rudiger had the first meaningful chance in the 31st minute.

He rose well on the edge of the six-yard box to head towards goal from a corner, but Slawomir Peszko stood strong to clear off the line, with Southampton keeper Boruc beaten.

Draxler tried to break the deadlock twice in three minutes shortly after the break, but his right-footed effort from just inside the box went wide and a snapshot from 25 yards flew over the bar.

In the closing stages Hahn came close to breaking the deadlock for the hosts, but Maciej Rybus was waiting on the line to clear his hooked shot from six yards out after the visitors made a hash of clearing a corner from Draxler.

There were shouts for a penalty when substitute Maximilian Arnold went down after weaving his way past three defenders before going down, but referee David Fernandez Borbalan waved away the appeals and the game ended in stalemate.