Inverness CT 3 - 4 Aberdeen

Match info: Scottish Premier at Tulloch Caledonian Stadium

Date: 21/12/2013 KO: 17:30 Ref: Att: 4,810

Home team/scorers Scores Away team/scorers


Billy McKay 47,57
Graeme Shinnie 90



Barry Robson 22 (pen),32
Peter Pawlett 37
Niall McGinn 44

FT (ht: 0-4)

  • Last Updated: December 21 2013, 20:42 GMT

Derek McInnes was delighted his Aberdeen side were able to survive a second-half comeback as they overcame inverness 4-3 in an enthralling encounter.

Peter Pawlett celebrates his goal for Aberdeen
Peter Pawlett celebrates his goal for Aberdeen

Barry Robson's penalty in the 22nd minute opened the floodgates for the Dons in the opening 45 minutes, with the midfielder later scoring a header before efforts by Peter Pawlett and Niall McGinn made it 4-0 to the visitors at the interval.

But Caley Thistle came storming back after the interval with Billy McKay scoring twice in the opening 11 minutes before Graeme Shinnie set up a grandstand finish as he reduced the deficit to one in the 89th minute.

However, it was not to be as Aberdeen held on to move up to third in the Scottish Premiership table.

For Dons manager McInnes, getting the win was all that mattered, despite a nervy second-half showing from his side.

He said: "I was delighted to get the three points. We came here with that objective.

"We managed to get ourselves 4-0 up at half-time, but we knew how dangerous Inverness would be if they got a goal early in the second half.

"I thought in the first half we were excellent. We showed that bit of quality and style, but the big thing for me was the energy of the players and putting the opposition under pressure.

"However, in the second half we opened the door for them and they nearly came right through."

The loss for Caley Thistle marked a defeat on his home debut for new Caley Thistle boss John Hughes, who was left to lament the mountain to climb following his side's first-half showing.

He said: "We gave ourselves too much to do, which is unlike us as we've got a great record recently of clean sheets.

"However, we made a better fist of it in the second half. Indeed, I felt like we might have deserved something out of the game.

"We scored three goals, while their goalkeeper has saved from Nick Ross and we've also hit the woodwork.

"I felt Aberdeen scored against the run of play in the first half, but after the penalty Aberdeen were the better team and I'm a little bit disappointed by the manner in which we conceded the next three goals

"At half-time we told the boys to go out and win the second half while giving the fans something to shout about, which we did."

New Sky Bet customers: Free £30 matched bet