Crystal Palace 0 - 0 Stoke City

Match info: FA Cup - 3rd Rnd at Selhurst Park

Date: 05/01/2013 KO: 15:00 Ref: N Swarbrick Att: 13,693

Home team/scorers Scores Away team/scorers

C Palace



FT (ht: 0-0)

  • Last Updated: January 5 2013, 19:05 GMT

Post-match reaction to Crystal Palace's 0-0 draw with Stoke.

Robert Huth and Jermaine Easter exchange views
Robert Huth and Jermaine Easter exchange views

Stoke manager Tony Pulis was relieved to still be in the hat for the FA Cup fourth round after a goalless draw at Crystal Palace.

Pulis started with former England team-mates Michael Owen and Peter Crouch in attack but it was Championship side Palace who looked most likely to break the deadlock.

"When the draw was made we know this would be a very tough fixture especially away from home," said Pulis.

"We have just come off the back of four very tough Premier League games. This is a tough ground to come to and they are a top Championship side.

"They played really well. They've got some dangerous players in their team and we are pleased with the result. They are a good side, Ian Holloway's got them well-motivated and it was always going to be difficult.

"I was bringing on players like Kenwyne Jones, Cameron Jerome and Charlie Adam to try to win the game. But both teams are in the draw so that's something to look forward to."

Owen started his first match in 14 months at the ground where he scored on his Liverpool debut as a 17-year-old against Wimbledon in 1997.

But 16 years on Owen did not manage an effort on target and lasted just 53 minutes.

Owen and Crouch were playing together for the first time since both came on as half-time substitutes for England in a 1-0 defeat by France in 2008.

And the old partnership could have given Stoke the lead in the 12th minute when Owen got his head to a corner.

The ball looped across goal but Crouch could only direct it wide from all of six yards out.

Crouch had another chance when Ryan Shotton found him with a curling cross but this time his header flew over the bar.

Owen barely had another touch all game, while all the eye-catching displays came from Palace.

Wilfried Zaha, a target for Manchester United, Arsenal and Tottenham, was a constant threat until his afternoon was ended prematurely by a late lunge from Shotton which was missed by referee Neil Swarbrick.

"There were a few strange decisions for both sides today," said Palace boss Holloway.

"He's caught Wilf and Wilf's had to go off. He had crossed it, if we don't score that's a foul, isn't it?

"But Wilf will be fine. He's got another foot."

Substitute Jerome had Stoke's only shot on target shortly after the interval with a volley saved by Lewis Price.

For Palace Zaha, Jermaine Easter and Yannick Bolasie forced fine saves from Thomas Sorensen and young sub Jason Banton hit the side-netting.

Holloway, who took over at Palace two months ago, could do without a replay with his side third in the Championship and going all out for promotion.

"I wanted to win or lose, basically, and wasn't bothered which as long as we had a good performance," he added.

"But the way the game went I'm glad we didn't lose because I don't think my boys deserved to lose.

"It's looking like my team now, and if that's after eight weeks I'm looking forward to the rest of the four years."

Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week