Dundee 0 - 0 Kilmarnock

Match info: Scottish Premier at Dens Park Stadium

Date: 27/01/2013 KO: 15:00 Ref: J Beaton Att: 4,782

Home team/scorers Scores Away team/scorers




FT (ht: 0-0)

  • Last Updated: January 27 2013, 19:18 GMT

Dundee boss Barry Smith insists his team should have been handed a first-half penalty as they were held to a goalless draw by Kilmarnock at Dens Park.

Smith: Thought Dundee should have had a penalty
Smith: Thought Dundee should have had a penalty

The Clydesdale Bank Premier League stalemate was a drab affair which the home side just about shaded.

They had chances to win it as a Jim McAlister strike was ruled out after it deflected off team-mate John Baird while he was offside.

Baird nearly made amends, however, with a rasping volley midway into the second half which rattled the post.

But it was a tug in the box on the same player after 35 minutes by Killie full-back Ross Barbour which irritated Smith. Referee John Beaton ruled it was an accidental clash, but the Dens boss argued differently.

Smith said: "I think it is a definite penalty. Baird's been held back in the area. Anywhere else on the park, it's a foul. So why in the box?

"I thought we did enough to win. We hit the post, had another cleared off the line. We're happy with the performance but just couldn't put the ball in the back of the net.

"I'm delighted for the defence, as they have a hard time but have managed to get a clean sheet. Now it's about building on that and sticking the ball away."

Smith has moved to bring in Gary Harkins for a second spell with the Dark Blues, but a gentleman's agreement saw him sit out today's game with his old employers Killie.

The manager, though, is hopeful his arrival will harbour only good things for a side stranded 11 points from safety at the bottom of the SPL.

Smith added: "I think we created chances today but obviously Garry has got good ability. Hopefully he will create more and bring others into the game for us."

Kilmarnock assistant boss Jimmy Nicholl took over dug-out duties while manager Kenny Shiels sat out the first of his four-game ban for comments made about fourth official Andrew Dallas.

But while he was not there on the sidelines, Nicholl insists the players must continue to play to the standard set by the boss.

He said: "It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. But then a clean sheet and a point away from home is something to build on.

"The manager's standards are so high when it comes to passing. He wants us to get the Spanish lad Borja Perez on the ball for us to create things for Paul Heffernan. He wants that happening all the time but it can be a fine line. It doesn't happen all the time.

"They have always got to try and reach those standards. We're not asking them to do anything they can't do. They are capable of producing this standard of football.

"But the opposition are out there trying to stop you from doing it, so you have to give them credit as well."

Shiels was handed his touchline ban after claiming Dallas - son of former World Cup referee Hugh - had 'fabricated' evidence after sending him to the stand during a game with St Johnstone in November.

He launched his latest staunch defence of his position last night during a BBC Radio Scotland phone-in, and Nicholl has sympathy for his friend's plight.

He said: "I have another three games without him there beside me. But he keeps in touch on the phone and makes all the changes he needs to make from up the stairs.

"It's frustrating for him. I heard his debate with (SFA referees chief) John McKendrick on the radio.

"He will always look to defend himself. I heard him say last night, which is true, this is all based on two games. It's grown arms and legs."

Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week