Crystal Palace 1 - 1 Huddersfield Town

Match info: Championship at Selhurst Park

Date: 22/12/2012 KO: 17:20 Ref: G Scott Att: 17,993

Home team/scorers Scores Away team/scorers

C Palace

Wilfried Zaha 39



Keith Southern 75

FT (ht: 1-0)

  • Last Updated: December 22 2012, 20:42 GMT

Crystal Palace manager Ian Holloway was fiercely critical of referee Graham Scott after his side were held to a frustrating 1-1 draw by Huddersfield at Selhurst Park.

Holloway: Unhappy with the referee
Holloway: Unhappy with the referee

Holloway was incensed by the referee's decision to show Damien Delaney a straight red card after 11 minutes following a challenge on Jermaine Beckford, which was deemed to be reckless.

Holloway was also upset at Huddersfield being awarded a 20th minute penalty after Sean Scannell was fouled inside the penalty area, while he also questioned the official's decision to show Town defender Anthony Gerrard a red card late on.

"I thought he was so quick to make a decision and I've seen the angle," said Holloway.

"It wasn't reckless or dangerous play and he wasn't the last man.

"I just can't believe how quickly, from that angle, that he made that decision.

"That's a three match ban and if he's going to say that Delaney was the last man and he's brought him down then I could accept that.

"But for a reckless challenge, not trying to play the ball, I don't agree but who am I? I'm just the Palace manager. I might be biased mightn't I?

"I thought Scannell deliberately played for the penalty. He could have easily taken another couple of steps and got on the end of it or whatever but such is life."

After losing Delaney to a red card, Palace were fortunate not to fall behind after 20 minutes when Adam Clayton's penalty was saved by Julian Speroni.

That appeared to give the home side a lift and Wilfried Zaha fired his side ahead six minutes before the break after latching onto Yannick Bolasie's neat flick.

But with 15 minutes remaining, Palace failed to clear Adam Hammill's corner and Keith Southern's weak effort managed to sneak through Speroni's legs.

The visitors were then forced to negotiate the final part of the game with 10 men after Gerrard was harshly sent off for a foul on Bolasie.

But Town held out, much to the delight of manager Simon Grayson, who said: "You're happy to get a point when you come down to Crystal Palace, a team which are flying at this moment in time.

"But when you look back and reflect on the game, we had some good opportunities. Their keeper made some fantastic saves and we had an opportunity to score from the penalty.

"Anthony Gerrard's sending off? Not from where I am and not from what I've seen on the TV. He didn't jump in, he didn't lead with two feet so I think he's got that decision wrong.

"We're disappointed with the decision which got Anthony Gerrard sent off.

"I would have thought we will appeal but you never know. We had one of those at Charlton and we thought we'd get Keith Southern off but we didn't. You don't hold too much breath."

Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week