Middlesbrough 1 - 3 Bristol City

Match info: Championship at Riverside Stadium

Date: 24/11/2012 KO: 15:00 Ref: N Swarbrick Att: 20,585

Home team/scorers Scores Away team/scorers


Ishmael Miller 35


Bristol C

Albert Adomah 13
Stephen Pearson 63
Steve Davies 89

FT (ht: 1-1)

  • Last Updated: November 24 2012, 19:06 GMT

Middlesbrough boss Tony Mowbray shrugged off the impact of having what may been a game-changing goal ruled out in a stinging 3-1 home defeat to Bristol City.

Stephen Pearson: On target for Bristol City
Stephen Pearson: On target for Bristol City

Mowbray had seen his side claw back to level an early Albert Adomah opener when Ishmael Miller stabbed home from a corner.

And Boro were applying some heavy pressure when Grant Leadbitter's corner was fumbled by City goalkeeper Tom Heaton and appeared to go over the line before being hooked clear.

Things got worse for the home side as Bristol twice broke out to plunder a precious win thanks to late strikes from Stephen Pearson and substitute Steven Davies.

But Mowbray refused to point the finger at the pivotal 'ghost' goal.

"There's no mileage in blaming the referee over things like that," he said. "We've had a few things like that go against us this season but also a few go for us.

"You may wonder if the fog may have been a factor in him or the assistants not seeing it but if the referee doesn't give it, there's no point moaning. It won't change the record books.

"The result was disappointing and frustrating but that is down to the way we performed, and it must be said, the way Bristol performed. They played well on the counter.

"Things just didn't go to plan. We went more direct and it didn't pan out. We changed the shape for the right reasons but it didn't come off.

"But you can't over-analyse it. We are still in the top six and there are still plenty of games to play. Luckily we have another one here on Tuesday night against Huddersfield, so we can put it right quickly."

Bristol City boss Derek McInnes was beaming after a win that took his side out of the bottom three.

He said: "We played well at times in the early part of the campaign but that was as good a performance as we have put in all season. I was delighted for the lads and for the supporters.

"We expected Middlesbrough to attack us with the two men up front and we knew it would be tough, we knew we would have to work hard and keep our shape.

"We did that. I thought we contained them well and I thought we controlled the game for long spells and with that came a bit of confidence.

"That showed in how we attacked. We scored three very good goals. We got into some very good areas and created some good chances."

Boro set the early pace but City scored against he run of play in the 13th minute as teenage full-back Joe Bryan got down the left and picked out Adomah, who beat his man and drilled in a low effort that squeezed under the body of keeper Jason Steele.

The home side should have levelled five minutes later but Lukas Jutkiewicz powered a close range header just wide from a Miller cross.

Boro levelled on 34 minutes from a Leadbitter corner. Andre Bikey's effort was cleared off the line by Neil Kilkenny and Ishmael Miller stabbed in the rebound.

After the break Boro laid siege to the City box and in the 53rd minute had the 'ghost goal' chalked off - then straight down the other end City broke quickly and Adomah rattled the bar with a 20-yard piledriver.

The visitors soaked up more pressure then again broke quickly to go ahead in the 63rd minute, with Neil Danns squaring into the box for Pearson to flick home.

Boro almost levelled as first Scott McDonald fired into the sidenetting, then Luke Williams forced a good save.

However City made sure of the points with a third goal in the 88th minute, Adomah streaking down the right to cut inside and feed Davies to curl home.

Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week