Bristol City 1 - 1 Blackpool

Match info: Championship at Ashton Gate

Date: 17/11/2012 KO: 15:00 Ref: G Ward Att: 12,009

Home team/scorers Scores Away team/scorers

Bristol C

Steve Davies 81 (pen)



Tom Ince 90+2 (pen)

FT (ht: 0-0)

  • Last Updated: November 17 2012, 19:03 GMT

Referee Gavin Ward was the centre of attention after awarding two penalties in the last 10 minutes as Bristol City and Blackpool drew 1-1 at Ashton Gate.

Derek McInnes was furious with referee Gavin Ward
Derek McInnes was furious with referee Gavin Ward

City boss Derek McInnes felt his new centre-back Matthew Bates was desperately unlucky to concede an injury time spot-kick for handling a cross.

And Blackpool counterpart Michael Appleton was equally adamant that a penalty should not have been awarded against goalkeeper Matt Gilks for bringing down Albert Adomah, who looked to have overrun the ball out of play on 81 minutes.

Steve Davies netted from the spot with a low shot for City, his first touch after being sent on as a substitute, while Thomas Ince was equally clinical for the visitors.

The result ended a seven-match losing run for City, but McInnes was still far from happy with the outcome.

He said: "I just don't see how the referee could have been sure Matthew Bates handled. I have watched the incident five or six times and I still can't tell whether it was a penalty.

"My understanding is that officials have to be sure so I think we have been hard done by. I also felt there was a foul on one of our players in the build-up.

"It hasn't been an easy time for anyone associated with the club, but there were a lot of positives to take out of today's game and it is something to build on."

Appleton felt equally robbed by Ward's decision to penalise Gilks.

He said: "To say it was soft is being kind. The ref took four or five seconds to make up his mind and seemed set to award a goal-kick before the home fans reacted.

"It was frustrating to fall behind because we had squandered several great opportunities to score. But the spirit the lads showed to fight back was great.

"I'm just grateful a linesman was on the ball for our penalty. It looked a clear handball to me, but I'm not sure the ref would have given it if he hadn't seen the flag.

"We need to be more clinical in our finishing, but I am happy with the way the players are responding to what I want them to do."

City owed their draw to goalkeeper Tom Heaton, who made an outstanding 65th-minute save from Ince after Nathan Delfouneso's shot had come back off a post.

Heaton was by far the busier keeper and made several other fine stops.

The hosts started brightly and almost took a 10th-minute lead when Neil Kilkenny took aim from 35 yards and rocked the crossbar with a superb strike.

But the visitors carved out the best opportunities, with the talented Ince a constant threat on the right flank.

Gilks had to make just one save of note, racing off his line to deny Stead after a 50th-minute error by Ian Evatt.

Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week