Hibernian 2 - 3 Motherwell

Match info: Scottish Premier at Easter Road Stadium

Date: 15/12/2012 KO: 15:00 Ref: Steven Mclean Att: 8,817

Home team/scorers Scores Away team/scorers


Eoin Doyle 41,55



Jamie Murphy 64,80
Robert McHugh 88

FT (ht: 1-0)

  • Last Updated: December 15 2012, 18:57 GMT

Stuart McCall hailed a 'very satisfying' victory after Motherwell battled back from two goals down down to defeat Hibernian 3-2 at Easter Road.

Motherwell celebrate their victory at Hibs
Motherwell celebrate their victory at Hibs

Eoin Doyle headed the hosts ahead five minutes before half-time and doubled his tally nine minutes after the break when he raced onto Paul Cairney's high ball and his strike rocketed past Darren Randolph.

Jamie Murphy tapped in from close range to cut the hosts' lead and he glanced home a leveller with 10 minutes remaining.

Hibs looked shell-shocked after losing a commanding lead and things got worse for the hosts when substitute Robert McHugh converted Henrik Ojamaa's cross two minutes from time.

James McPake was dismissed for a second yellow card during injury time to complete a miserable afternoon for Hibs, who now trail Motherwell by three points in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League table.

"It was a very satisfying victory, I don't know if it was a little hangover from the cup, but in the first half we never got going - there were a few choice words at half-time," said McCall.

"I challenged our lads to match their spirit and I felt the game wasn't over at 2-0, we showed the commitment and desire to go on and win the game.

"I made a few changes, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I think you could see from the reaction of the lads after we got the second goal that we wanted to go on and grab a winner.

"We let a lot of people down on Tuesday night (they were defeated by Aberdeen in the William Hill Scottish Cup), ourselves included, but we are doing fantastically well in the league."

McCall was also delighted at the impact of substitute McHugh, who passed up a glorious opportunity before grabbing the winner.

"I'm not sure what happened with the first chance and a few of the lads are giving him a bit of stick in the dressing-room - I thought he had a tenner on 2-2," joked McCall.

"I was delighted for him and hopefully he can continue to come on and nick a few goals."

Pat Fenlon felt his Hibs side stopped playing after Doyle's second goal, nine minutes into the second half.

Hibs fell to their second successive league defeat and have conceded three goals in both matches.

"We stopped playing after the second goal, we dropped too deep instead of trying to retain the ball and got punished for it," said Fenlon.

"I thought the first yellow-card was harsh and I would like to see the second one again - I am disappointed, today showed our home form and away form in one game."

The Easter Road boss also denied that withdrawing his two strikers Lee Griffiths and Doyle was the reason for allowing Motherwell a way back into the game.

"We were well under the cosh before we brought Lee off to be honest," added the former Bohemians manager.

"I don't think Lee did well today, the idea was to bring an extra midfielder on to try and get us on the ball a bit more."

Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week