Kilmarnock 1 - 2 St Johnstone

Match info: Scottish Premier at Rugby Park

Date: 24/11/2012 KO: 15:00 Ref: Att: 4,208

Home team/scorers Scores Away team/scorers


Michael Nelson 85


St J'stone

Rowan Vine 89
Murray Davidson 31

FT (ht: 0-1)

  • Last Updated: November 24 2012, 18:58 GMT

Kilmarnock manager Kenny Shiels was furious following the early dismissal of Manuel Pascali in their 2-1 home defeat against St Johnstone.

Murray Davidson celebrates the Saints' opener
Murray Davidson celebrates the Saints' opener

The Rugby Park skipper was ordered off for what was adjudged to be a two-footed challenge on Nigel Hasselbaink in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League match.

Shiels also received a red card shortly afterwards for protesting against two further decisions following Pascali's red card.

Killie looked to have battled back to earn a point after Michael Nelson headed home seven minutes from time to cancel out Murray Davidson's first-half opener.

The hosts looked the more likely to take all three points after the leveller, but were hit with a late blow when Rowan Vine fired beyond Cammy Bell two minutes before the end.

Shiels said: "The young lad, the fourth official (Andrew Dallas) is quite inexperienced and he made the decision, Steve (O'Reilly) got in his ear, which was astonishing that the young lad was influenced like that.

"You could see from the naked eye that he got the ball, then I got sent off for contesting two decisions.

"I didn't use bad language and was quite clear in my head that I shouldn't be sent off.

"We deserved something out of the game, but switched off for the winning goal - it's so disappointing after being so dominant."

St Johnstone boss Steve Lomas was delighted after witnessing his side grab a late win and also jumped to the defence of Hasselbaink, who felt the wrath of the home supporters following Pascali's sending-off.

Hasselbaink hobbled off to be replaced by Vine just before the half-hour mark.

Lomas said: "It was a super win, but I must pay Kilmarnock credit for continuing to play two up front and putting us under pressure.

"I can understand the Kenny was frustrated after the sending off, however players know what it's like these days and you can't go into a challenge two-footed.

"It was hard to work out the response of the Kilmarnock fans after the red card.

"Nigel didn't roll about after the tackle, his boot was ripped as a result and he got up and played on before eventually having to be substituted."

Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week