Hull progress in Europa League

  • Last Updated: August 7 2014, 22:21 BST

A review of Thursday's action involving British teams in the third qualifying round of the Europa League.

  • Ahmed Elmohamady heads home for Hull
  • St Johnstone bowed out of the Europa League in Slovakia 
  • There was also heartache for Aberdeen as they went down to Real Sociedad 

Hull are just two games away from reaching the Europa League group stages after substitute Sone Aluko struck late on to give them a 2-1 win over AS Trencin in the qualifying third round.

The FA Cup runners-up suffered an early setback at the KC Stadium when Tomas Malec scored for the Slovakians after only 91 seconds, and the Tigers struggled to respond.

Ahmed Elmohamady equalised before the half hour to give Hull a lifeline but, for the next hour, City looked set to exit the competition on away goals.

Yet with 10 minutes remaining, super-sub Aluko smashed home from close range to send Hull straight into Friday's draw for the play-offs.

Things did not go so well for Aberdeen and St Johnstone as Scottish interest in the competition came to an end.

Aberdeen were knocked out after two late goals gave Real Sociedad a 3-2 victory in their second leg encounter at Pittodrie.

Peter Pawlett and Mark Reynolds scored either side of a first-half Xabi Prieto strike to give Aberdeen a 2-1 lead, but they could not find the further two goals needed to progress.

Sociedad captain Prieto then broke Aberdeen hearts by scoring from the penalty spot with four minutes remaining and Bergara Markel scored moments from the end to give the Basque side victory on the night and a 5-2 aggregate triumph.

St Johnstone's quest to reach the  group stages ended in failure after they were held to a draw against Spartak Trnava in their second leg

Stevie May's deflected effort three minutes before half-time handed St Johnstone a lifeline following their 2-1 defeat in Perth but they failed to build on their advantage in the second half.

And a blunder from Gary Miller allowed Martin Mikovic to level with eight minutes left to seal a 1-1 draw for the Slovakian hosts and a 3-2 aggregate victory.

The goal could be May's last for the club amid talks with Rotherham and reported interest from Sheffield Wednesday but ultimately it counted for nothing as Saints failed to do enough to get the 2-0 win they needed.

However, the Scotland Under-21 striker was inches away from forcing extra-time when he threw himself at a cross amid some late pressure from the visitors.