Sri Lanka v Pakistan

  • Last Updated: August 17 2014, 13:58 BST

Kumar Sangakkara and Mahela Jayawardene combined to give Sri Lanka control on the third day of the second Test against Pakistan in Colombo after Rangana Herath took his match tally to nine wickets.

Sangakkara: Going well
Sangakkara: Going well

Sangakkara finished the day with an unbeaten 121-ball 54, while Jayawardene was one run short of a half-century himself as the hosts reached 177 for two.

Their lead of 165 runs at the halfway stage owes as much to Herath's exploits, though, as the spinner continued to cause havoc to Pakistan to almost single-handedly dismantle their batting order.

Sarfraz Ahmed reached 103 for the visitors before falling to the red-hot Herath, but none of the tail-enders could offer much resistance as they were all out for 332.

Upul Tharanga and Kaushal Silva completed a fine opening stand of 54 for Sri Lanka after 20 overs to easily steer them into the lead, before Tharanga fell to Abdur Rehman just five runs short of his half-century.

Silva (17) followed as Rehman moved to two for 28, but any thoughts of the hosts collapsing on 79 for two were soon dashed as Sangakkara and Jayawardene got to work.

It was a steady, if not spectacular, stand of 98 from the pair to close out the day, with the highlight being Jayawardene clubbing successive fours off Wahab Riaz in the 53rd over.

Earlier on Herath, who claimed five wickets as Pakistan closed on 244 for six on Friday, wasted no time to pick up where he left off, getting Rehman out with his fourth ball of the day.

Rehman (16) actually found the ropes, lofting over mid-off before it bounced to the boundary, with the previous ball but a sweet delivery from the spinner then forced him to walk after edging to Jayawardene at slip.

Riaz (17) became Herath's second victim of the day, before Sarfraz, resuming on 66 at the start of the day, began to find his rhythm.

He brought up his century with a classy four-six combo off Chanaka Welegedara at the start of the 87th over but it was not long before he finally fell on Herath's radar and Sri Lanka moved into a strong position with the bat.