South Africa v New Zealand

  • Last Updated: January 22 2013, 22:46 GMT

Kane Williamson's wonderful unbeaten century helped New Zealand claim an unassailable 2-0 lead in their one-day international series against South Africa following a 27-run victory in Kimberley.

Kane Williamson: Unbeaten century for New Zealand
Kane Williamson: Unbeaten century for New Zealand

Williamson, who was battling with cramp late in his innings, plundered 17 fours and a six in his 145 not out from 136 balls to carry the Black Caps to 279 for eight.

Despite a positive start from the Proteas, who were without skipper AB de Villiers due to suspension, poor running between the wickets cost them dear and they slipped from 165 for one at the end of the 30th over to 252 all out.

The Black Caps have bounced back superbly following two innings defeats in the Test series and an ODI series victory here - with just one more match left to play in Potchefstroom on Friday - will restore some pride.

Key to this success was an excellent effort from Williamson, who put on 127 with Grant Elliott (48) for the third wicket after the tourists lost the toss.

The Proteas' decision to field first seemed an astute move when Martin Guptill could only fend a Rory Kleinveldt bouncer to stand-in captain Faf du Plessis at point in the third over.

BJ Watling became Morne Morkel's 100th ODI wicket in the 13th over after being trapped in front for a painstaking 12 off 33 balls.

Williamson, however, settled into his stride in the next over, cracking three fours through the off side off Ryan McLaren, while he brought up his half-century by hammering Robin Peterson over midwicket for four.

The number three batsman and Elliott, who was happy to rotate the strike and let his partner dominate the bowlers, were warming to their task but the latter fell after guiding another short Kleinveldt ball behind.

Shortly after, Williamson brought up his third ODI hundred in the 35th over before New Zealand captain Brendon McCullum hammered a four and a six off Morkel.

The bowler would have the last laugh after cleaning up McCullum (17) with a fine yorker before Lonwabo Tsotsobe removed Colin Munro and James Franklin in the space of three balls.

Jimmy Neesham was run out attempting a quick single but Williamson kept the Black Caps' total ticking along nicely, despite suffering from cramp.

He and Kyle Mills took 19 off the final over which was bowled by Morkel, who took three wickets but conceded 71 runs from his allotment.

The late blast did not seem to affect South Africa in their response, although they did struggle to find the boundary rope before Quinton de Kock smeared Mitchell McClenaghan over midwicket in the sixth over.

The 20-year-old, playing just his second ODI, showed no signs of hesitancy and looked to keep the runs flowing but was bowled for 25 by Kyle Mills.

Former ODI captain Graeme Smith and Colin Ingram kept the momentum flowing, the former bringing up his 50 by swinging Elliott past short fine-leg for four.

Ingram also went to his half-century with a four off McClenaghan but the duo's stand of 129 was ended when Smith was run out for 66 following an excellent piece of fielding at the boundary rope by Franklin.

The Black Caps stayed alert in the field and they were rewarded in the next over when Du Plessis was short of his ground after being sent back attempting a quick single.

Ingram fell in tame fashion, striking Nathan McCullum to Watling at short cover to depart for 79 as the pressure started to tell.

Farhaan Behardien and David Miller attempted to rebuild but as the run-rate crept ever higher, the latter was ran out by Nathan McCullum backing up.

The wickets continued to tumble, which included another two run outs, as South Africa's charge ran out of steam and their hopes of levelling the series were long gone before Neesham bowled last man Tsotsobe with the first ball of the 50th over.

Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week