Australia v Sri Lanka

  • Last Updated: January 20 2013, 11:13 GMT

Australia need to win the fifth and final one-day international against Sri Lanka to tie the series after match four was washed out at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

Mitchell Starc: Hit an unbeaten 52
Mitchell Starc: Hit an unbeaten 52

Trailing 2-1 going into the match, Australia needed to win at the SCG in order to level the series ahead of the final match in Hobart on Wednesday.

But after posting a disappointing 222 for nine, rain brought an early end to proceedings with Sri Lanka's reply on 14 without loss off 3.2 overs.

The rain had stopped when play was abandoned because of a wet outfield.

David Warner struck an impressive 60 and Mitchell Starc contributed a quickfire 52 not out, but two howlers from the umpires cut short Warner's impressive knock and that of Moises Henriques.

Nuwan Kulasekara, who tormented Australia in the third ODI in Brisbane with his five for 22 as the hosts were swept out for 74, continued in the same vein in Sydney when he had Phillip Hughes out early on edging to wicketkeeper Dinesh Chandimal for one.

Australia reached 50 in just the 10th over, but captain Michael Clarke (20) lost his wicket that same over as Kulasekara (three for 30) secured his second scalp of the day by trapping him lbw.

David Hussey did not last long, caught by Lahiru Thirimanne for one off Lasith Malinga (two for 33).

With Australia struggling on 53 for three, George Bailey arrived to try to steady the innings and he did well to survive a brilliant spell from the dangerous Malinga, who beat Bailey's outside edge with three consecutive deliveries.

Just as Bailey and Warner looked to have formed a decent partnership, the former came down the pitch and tried to hit Rangana Herath (two for 37) over the top, sending the ball straight to Thisara Perera at mid-on on 22.

Warner continued his good work in the middle, reaching his half-century off just 57 balls, including five boundaries but was given out to a hugely dubious lbw decision.

Replays showed there was a massive inside edge onto his pads off Thisara Perera's delivery, but Warner was unable to refer the decision as Clarke had used up the one and only referral earlier in the innings.

Just two overs later Henriques (three) suffered the same fate as the opener.

Umpire Paul Reiffel gave Henriques out lbw to Herath, but replays again showed a big inside edge onto his pads.

Matthew Wade, who watched from the other end as both wickets fell, was joined by Mitchell Johnson when Australia were 130 for six but the latter exited for 10 after a full, slanting Malinga delivery caught him plumb on his pads for 10.

A good innings from Wade (31) came to an end when the wicketkeeper slashed a Perera delivery straight to Kulasekara, who ran in from the boundary to take the catch.

Australia's lower order of Clint McKay (two) and Xavier Doherty (10 not out) did not offer much resistance, but a well-played 52 off just 37 balls by Starc helped the home team to a competitive total.

Starc and Doherty hit 16 runs off the last over to lift the total to 222.

Click here for completely free £10 bet with Sky Bet & £5 free every week