Giles stands down as selector
Ashley Giles has decided to resign as an England selector after being overlooked for the national team coach role, with Nottinghamshire's director of cricket Mick Newell joining the four-man panel in his place.
- Related Content
Giles was a frontrunner for one of the highest profile jobs in English cricket but the England and Wales Cricket Board instead appointed Lancashire coach Peter Moores last weekend.
The former England spinner, who was added to the four-man panel in January 2008 and took over as head coach of England's limited-overs sides four years later, clearly feels he is unable to continue in his current role.
"Ashley Giles has informed ECB today that he intends to step down from the panel and I would like to thank him for all his hard work and dedication to the England cause over the past six years both as a selector, and more recently as our limited overs coach," ECB national selector James Whitaker said.
Giles will be succeeded by Newell, who was himself considered for the position vacated by Andy Flower following England's Ashes whitewash Down Under, to work alongside Whitaker, Moores and Angus Fraser.
"We welcome Mick to the panel and his passion, cricketing knowledge and in-depth understanding of our county game will be invaluable as we seek to identify potential international talent and develop outstanding England teams across all three formats of the game," Whitaker added.
Newell, who has served as a coach on England Lions and Under-19s tours, is thrilled to be taking on the role.
"It's a tremendous privilege and a great honour to be invited to join the England selection panel and I am really looking forward to working more closely with James, Peter and Angus," he said.
"I would also like to thank Nottinghamshire CCC for their support in allowing me to take on this role and play a part in shaping the future direction of the England team."
Meanwhile, Joe Root will head to English cricket's headquarters with Yorkshire on Sunday looking to bat himself into selection for the international summer.
The 23-year-old has not played first-class cricket since breaking his thumb on England's tour of the West Indies earlier this year - an injury which forced him out of the World Twenty20.
He made a successful return for Yorkshire's second string this week though, scoring eight and 61 as they faced Lancashire, and he has now been named in their first-team squad for the LV= County Championship clash with Middlesex at Lord's.
He is part of a 13-man party selected by coach Jason Gillespie, with Tykes' captain Andrew Gale admitting he may have to drop himself to accommodate Root.
Root heads into the game needing 149 runs for 4,000 in first-class cricket, with his performance likely to be under particular scrutiny as new England coach Moores puts together ideas for his first squad.
Root was dropped from the Test team at the end of the disastrous Ashes tour of Australia, but is regarded highly within the England set-up.
England's season starts with a one-day clash against Scotland on May 9.
England one-day bowler Chris Jordan has signed a two-year contract extension with Sussex.
The 25-year-old broke into the England side at the end of last season and toured Australia with them, as well as playing at the World T20.
"I really enjoyed my first season with Sussex and hopefully I can continue putting in solid performances and to help us be successful, especially with our strong start to the campaign," he said.