Surrey tie up Pietersen deal

  • Last Updated: February 11 2014, 12:26 GMT

Kevin Pietersen has agreed terms to play for Surrey this summer, the county side have confirmed.

Pietersen: Signed for Surrey
Pietersen: Signed for Surrey

Pietersen was last week left out of England's squads for the limited-overs tour of the West Indies and the ICC World T20, with a statement from the England and Wales Cricket Board on Sunday suggesting his omission was due to a lack of trust.

He will now play for Surrey in the new domestic t20 Blast competition, with Surrey announcing they were "delighted" to have agreed terms for the forthcoming season.

Pietersen then clarified on Twitter: "By the way - this is a T20 contract, but I can play in the County Championship too."

The 33-year-old batsman told the club's website: "I'm absolutely delighted to have agreed terms with Surrey and am thoroughly looking forward to playing my cricket for the club this summer.

"I've had some of my best moments in cricket at the Kia Oval and I'm really excited at the prospect of getting back out there playing in what will hopefully be a brilliant summer for us all at Surrey."

Pietersen became available for the county season when the ECB decided he was not part of England's future.

Sunday evening's explanation read: "We must invest in our captain Alastair Cook and support him in creating a culture in which we can be confident he will have the full support of all players, with everyone pulling in the same direction and able to trust each other.

"It is for those reasons that we have decided to move on without Kevin Pietersen."

Pietersen has a history of clashing with authority figures in the England set-up, having successfully lobbied in January 2009 for the removal of then coach Peter Moores.

That also cost him his own position as captain, and he almost saw his international career end in 2012 after sending derogatory text messages about then captain Andrew Strauss to members of the touring South Africa team.

Surrey's director of cricket Alec Stewart was among several prominent figures in the game to defend Pietersen after his dismissal.

And the former international wicketkeeper was delighted his county were able to benefit, saying: "We are delighted to have agreed terms with Kevin, and to have a player of his ability at the Kia Oval.

"Unsurprisingly there was a great deal of interest in Kevin from around the world, but he has made it very clear that he wants to play at Surrey and it is not only good news for the club but for the domestic game in this country.

"We are now looking forward to watching him in the middle, scoring a bucketload of runs for Surrey."

Pietersen's Surrey team-mate Chris Tremlett described the news as "great", while Steve Davies said he was "very excited".

He added on Twitter: "(He) always gives his best when playing for us."

Pietersen can also expect to receive lucrative offers in Thursday's Indian Premier League auction, in which he is listed as a marquee player with a reserve price of 20million Indian rupees (£195,000).


New Sky Bet customers: Free matched bet up to £30