Giles: Finn's no quitter
England limited-overs coach Ashley Giles has denied that a case of the 'yips' has forced Steven Finn's premature exit from the tour of Australia.
- Related Content
Finn will fly home after Giles revealed he was "not selectable" due to technical problems with his bowling action.
The 24-year-old, who has 90 Test wickets, did not play a competitive match in almost three months in Australia and was the only member of the initial Ashes squad not to feature in the Test series.
During his time on the sidelines, Finn seemingly regressed to a point at which Giles thinks he has been left wracked by self-doubts.
That led to the call to send him home - "for his own good" - but Giles does not reckon the Middlesex paceman has an incurable problem or, indeed, the dreaded 'yips'.
"I hate that word and I don't even want to say," Giles said.
"It's a very different thing compared to what I believe Steven has got. It's a mixture of the two.
"He's got technical issues and the more troublesome they become, the worse the battle with them becomes - of course it's going to affect you mentally.
"Then you start second guessing what it is.
"What's the start point? What is the end point? Where am I going in my career?
"It is quite tough but I think he has managed it really well for the amount of time he has been going through this."
Finn is the third England player to return home before their service to country was due to end on this tour, after Jonathan Trott and Graeme Swann.
Trott left the tour with a stress-related illness after the first Test while Swann retired once the Ashes were lost in Perth.
Both of those decisions were met with understanding and Giles believes Finn should not feel any guilt over his exit.
"What Steven Finn didn't want anyone to think was that he was quitting," he said.
"No-one would ever dream of saying that.
"We made the decision in the end in conjunction with the guys back at home. All our management, (team director) Andy (Flower), (managing director) Paul Downton, top bosses, have all been involved in this.
"The important thing from our perspective, and Middlesex's perspective, is that we move forward together to get him right, so that we make sure the messages are very clear and the plans clear."
Meanwhile, Giles described Kevin Pietersen's inclusion in the provisional World Twenty20 squad, named on Wednesday, as "significant".
Pietersen's England future is the point of much debate, but he was selected in a 30-man list to play in the tournament, which begins in Bangladesh in March.
Giles made the call in conjunction with Flower - who it has been claimed is ready to begin a new England phase without Pietersen.
"It's significant," Giles said of Pietersen's call-up. "At no point did we discuss leaving him out of the 30.
"I wasn't involved in the Ashes. It was obviously tough for everyone involved."
Giles, though, did not rule out that Pietersen might have played his last game in an England shirt.
The World Twenty20 squad must be trimmed in half early next month, and Pietersen could still find himself on the outer.
Asked if he thought Pietersen would play for England again, Giles added: "I don't know, We have to take stock. We have picked a 30-man squad. Nobody is guaranteed ever of playing."
Flower and captain Alastair Cook have previously declared that any major decisions on the future of England's players, including Pietersen, would only be made once they meet to review the Ashes after the Australia tour ends.
"The important thing from my perspective and having spoken to Cooky is we don't make any knee-jerk calls now," Giles said.
"We need time to sit back and take everything into account. In the short term, me and Cooky are going through a one-day series that we're desperately trying to win.
"We've got those pressures. There's been a lot written and a lot said.
"At the moment we just need to sit back and see where we are. And Kev's in that 30."