Surrey win as Maynard remembered

  • Last Updated: August 21 2012, 21:36 BST

Surrey kept their hopes of retaining the Clydesdale Bank 40 alive with a convincing 93-run victory over the Welsh Dragons at The Oval.

Surrey proved far too good for the Dragons

The game, which was dedicated to the memory of Tom Maynard, was dominated by the home side, who posted 219 for nine thanks to responsible knocks from Matthew Spriegel (51) and Kevin Pietersen (43).

In reply, the Welshmen collapsed from 55 for two to 77 for eight, with Gareth Batty taking three for four, before being skittled out for 126.

The match was played on a sombre backdrop as both sets of players recognised their former player Maynard, who died aged 23 on June 18 after being hit by a London Underground train.

The match marked the official launch of the Tom Maynard Trust and before play a posthumous county cap was awarded to his father, Matthew, by Surrey chairman Richard Thompson.

Matthew Maynard was joined by a host of recognised names, such as former England skipper Andrew Flintoff, who embarked on a 160-mile sponsored bike ride from the SWALEC Stadium in Cardiff.

After winning the toss, Surrey raced along at more than seven an over before the loss of three early wickets necessitated a more measured approach.

Steven Davies played on to Graham Wagg, Rory Hamilton-Brown hit a quickfire 28 before mistiming a pull through to the wicketkeeper and Jason Roy lobbed a return catch to Simon Jones.

Surrey found themselves 67 for three but Pietersen, who cut his first ball for four and, at times, drove with power and precision, then found a useful ally in Spriegel.

When Jones sent Pietersen's off stump cartwheeling and Jim Allenby had Zander de Bruyn edging behind, the hosts looked in danger of coming up short.

But a sixth-wicket stand of 54 in 10 overs between Spriegel and Zafar Ansari helped Surrey force their way back into the contest.

Ansari survived a missed stumping, on 14, when a delivery from Marcus North kicked off a surface showing increasing signs of turn. The 20-year-old left-hander was eventually bowled by Allenby for 30, though not before raising the 50 partnership with a pulled four off James Harris.

With Batty and Murali Kartik falling to catches in the deep, it was left to Spriegel, who moved to a 72-ball half-century, to see his side past the 200-mark before holing out to deep midwicket, giving Wagg figures of four for 45.

In reply, the Dragons overcame the early loss of Mark Wallace and Jim Allenby to be 50 for two after 10 overs.

Wallace was beaten for pace by Stuart Meaker, who was in the action again three overs later when Allenby picked him out at deep square leg off the bowling of Spriegel.

Chris Cooke made a bright 31, adding 45 in tandem with Gareth Rees. But Cooke was run out in the 12th over, trying to steal a leg bye to Pietersen at short third man. Two overs later, Rees reverse swept Kartik to point.

With Stewart Walters playing around a turning delivery from Batty, Ben Wright falling to a superb catch by Ansari at square leg and Marcus North playing on, the writing was on the wall.

Harris was caught down the leg side off Dernbach to make it 77 for eight and while Cosker and Wagg hit straight sixes off Dernbach and Ansari it was too little, too late.