Warwickshire vs Kent

Match info: English Domestic Royal London One-Day Cup 2014 at Edgbaston - Semi Final 1

Date: 4th Sep 2014 Umpires: R T Robinson and S J O'Shaughnessy

50-over match

Home team and score Away team score


219/4 (46.3 Overs)



215/8 (50.0 Overs)

Warwickshire win by 6 wickets

  • Last Updated: September 4 2014, 21:47 BST

Warwickshire remain on course for a limited-overs double after beating Kent by six wickets in their Royal London One-Day Cup semi-final.

Jonathan Trott: Warwickshire No 3 reverse sweeps during his innings of 58
Jonathan Trott: Warwickshire No 3 reverse sweeps during his innings of 58

Jonathan Trott hit  58 as Warwickshire survived a scare to reach a target of 216 with 21 balls to spare at Edgbaston.

Warwickshire skipper Varun Chopra also hit 50 but he and Trott were dismissed in quick succession before Tim Ambrose and Laurie Evans steadied the run chase.

The Bears will face either Durham or Nottinghamshire in the final at Lord's on September 20, where they will will be seeking a second trophy inside a month after they claimed the NatWest T20 Blast crown in August.

Kent were reduced to 115-5, Boyd Rankin and Jeetan Patel striking twice each before Sam Billings' unbeaten 40 off 40 balls gave the Spitfires hope.

He put on a ninth wicket stand of 50 with David Griffiths as the Bears allowed a strong position to slip.

But Chopra and Trott's 110-run partnership gave them a platform, which Ambrose finished off with 51 not out.

Kent won the toss and batted but Warwickshire got their breakthrough when Rob Key skied Rankin to Patel to depart for 23.

Sam Northeast (31) was caught and bowled by the impressive Rankin, who claimed 3-34, and Patel dismissed Ben Harmison to reduce the visitors to 84-3.

Warwickshire were sharp in the field and Evans underlined their authority with a stunning one-handed catch after Darren Stevens miscued a sweep.

He followed Brendan Nash after the West Indian was run out and Kent were five down with just 115 on the board.

Alex Blake (21) was next to go, Mitchell Claydon went cheaply for one and Fabian Cowdrey's 34 was ended by Evans' catch off Oliver Hannon-Dalby.

It was left for Billings' late flourish to help Kent from 161-8 to 215 as Griffiths ensured their partnership remained intact with 12 not out.

Warwickshire's toils briefly continued as a slow start to their innings was compounded when Will Porterfield handed an easy catch to Northeast with the opener dismissed for just 10.

The hosts were 31-1 after the first powerplay - Kent were 40-0 - but Trott began to move through the gears alongside Chopra.

He reached his half century off just 49 balls before cutting Griffiths to Nash at backward point.

Chopra was trapped lbw by spinner Adam Riley soon after, although the ball looked to be missing the stumps, as Warwickshire wobbled at 132-3.

They needed 83 to win off 116 balls and Ambrose survived a stumping chance before Evans played on off Griffths for 24 to leave Warwickshire on 199-4, but it was only a brief delay as Ambrose hit the winning runs.