McDonnell relishing title shot
Jamie McDonnell is relishing the opportunity of becoming world champion for a second time after it was announced he would fight for the vacant WBA bantamweight title on the undercard of the Carl Froch-George Groves rematch.
- Related Content
McDonnell was stripped of the IBF crown he won by defeating then unbeaten Mexican Julio Ceja in his hometown of Doncaster in May last year, but will now be given another chance to become world champion once more when he takes on Tabtimdaeng Na Rachawat on May 31.
The 28-year-old Englishman (23-2-1, 10KOs), who has recorded two wins since beating Ceja against low-key opposition, admits he knows little of his next opponent but is looking forward to the bout.
"I am so excited to be fighting for a world title on the biggest boxing show in British history," McDonnell said. "I'm honoured to be a part of it and especially to be fighting to become a world champion again, I am absolutely flying with this news and it's going to be a great boost in training.
"It's been a full year since I last fought for a world title and it's been tough to be honest. I had a little taste of being a world champion, I loved it and it made me want it even more. Reaching the top of the world changes your life and I want to feel that again.
"I don't know much about Na Rachawat and I will leave that to the team. His record says he can bang a bit and he is a come-forward fighter who is game, so it will be an entertaining fight as that suits me. I'm expecting to win and win well."
Na Rachawat of Thailand will travel to Wembley with an impressive record of 52 wins from 54 fights although it will be the 30-year-old's first world title tilt.