Brook out to make big statement
Kell Brook is ready to put his injury woes behind him and intends to take his frustration on missing out on a world title tilt into his re-match against Carson Jones.
- Related Content
Brook had worked himself into the mandatory position to face IBF welterweight champion Devon Alexander, but the Sheffield fighter had to postpone the clash on two occasions due to ankle and foot problems.
In-between, Alexander pulled out of the second scheduled date because of a bicep complaint to compound Brook's troubles.
"It has been very frustrating. I have never really had an injury in my whole career and then just before the biggest fight of my life it happens to come along," said Brook.
"It was horrible and I was absolutely gutted about it.
"Without a doubt it was the hardest thing I have had to go through in my boxing career."
After Brook's foot injury forced the third postponement against Alexander, Matchroom Promotions stablemate Lee Purdy stepped into the breach last month but the Essex man suffered a one-sided beatdown and his corner pulled him out after seven rounds.
"I couldn't watch Alexander v Lee Purdy, I couldn't do it. Knowing that I should have been in there that night, I couldn't sit down and watch it," added Brook.
The unbeaten 27-year-old (29-0, with 19 knockout wins) is determined to put the 147lb division on notice against American Jones, who gave Brook an almighty scare before losing a razor-thin majority points decision when the pair first met in July last year.
They will face off again on the undercard of Olympic gold medalist Luke Campbell's professional debut in Hull next month and Brook is relishing his first bout of 2013.
"I am on to the next chapter in my boxing career now and I am looking forward to having fun on July 13," said Brook.
"Big things will come from me, I am going to make a statement in this fight and I am going to carry on from there."